X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SeaMonkey or Firefox/Thunderbird?

Hi Everyone,
    I've been a fan of the Mozilla Suite for browsing/email for several years (back when it was still Netscape).

Currently, I run the SeaMonkey suite. But it seems that the vast majority of people out there prefer the Firefox/Thunderbird combination over the suite.

I really like SeaMonkey, but the fact that it's not in the repositories makes me think there's a good reason it's not as popular as Firefox/Thunderbird. Am I missing something?

Since we are all using the same operating system here, I thought it might be interesting to ask what choice members of this forum have made on this, and why you have made that choice.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Re: SeaMonkey or Firefox/Thunderbird?

Like yourself, i've used Mozilla and the mail plugin since the Netscape Navigator days, then i moved to Firefox/Thunderbird and stuck with it when i escaped the clutches of Microsoft. It helped that all the bookmarks imported without any hassle.

I had a few problems with Firefox locking up a few weeks ago, it could have been because i tend to have lots of tabs, and that some of the scripts on them clashed.... but it hasn't happened for quite some while now.

When i was having problems, i tried Epiphany - which impressed me greatly, until i tried to import Firefox bookmarks.... i also tried Galeon and Dillo, and something i can't recall the name of.
    I did consider SeaMonkey, but never got around to it. I may well do one day.

I don't know if all the plugins i use with Firefox are available for Seamonkey -- i couldn't live without AdBlock Plus, Download Status bar, FireFTP, Google Desktop, NoScript, PDF Download, Personal Menu, and Tab X. Mustn't forget Configuration Mania.

Well - i suppose i could live without them.... if i had no internet access.

Comment

I've never really even given Seamonkey any consideration. At the moment I'm using Firefox 3 (AKA Gran Paradiso). No extensions - I want ReloadEvery but it's not supported in this newest version. I used to use a whole bunch of extensions, then felt they were hogging memory; sure enough, going back to a 'vanilla' firefox made things smoother and faster. Last week I had a dalliance with Konqueror, but was unimpressed; while it uses about half the memory of Firefox, pages take far too long to render, it crashes too often, and session management is a manual kludge.
      Might take a look at Seamonkey. Also: Is there a KDE browser that uses the Gecko engine?
      I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Cantab: Is there a KDE browser that uses the Gecko engine?
        Epiphany:
        Intuitive GNOME web browser
        A simple yet powerful GNOME web browser targeted at non-technical users. Its principles are simplicity and standards compliance. Simplicity is achieved by a well designed user interface and reliance on external applications for performing external tasks (such as reading email). Simplicity should not mean less powerful. Standards compliance is achieved on the HTML side by using the Gecko rendering engine, as developed for the Mozilla and Firefox browsers; and on the user interface side by closely following the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) and by close integration with the GNOME desktop.
        What i truly disliked about it is that it insists on arranging all your carefully-arranged bookmarks in alphabetical order.

Also, you have to scheme how to get Firefox bookmarks into it - Bookmarks ->Import doesn't work from Firefox - it recognises bookmarks in it's own format.

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
          Epiphany:
          A simple yet powerful GNOME web browser targeted at non-technical users. Its principles are simplicity and standards compliance. Simplicity is achieved by a well designed user interface and reliance on external applications for performing external tasks (such as reading email). Simplicity should not mean less powerful. Standards compliance is achieved on the HTML side by using the Gecko rendering engine, as developed for the Mozilla and Firefox browsers; and on the user interface side by closely following the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) and by close integration with the GNOME desktop.
          What i truly disliked about it is that it insists on arranging all your carefully-arranged bookmarks in alphabetical order.

Also, you have to scheme how to get Firefox bookmarks into it - Bookmarks ->Import doesn't work from Firefox - it recognises bookmarks in it's own format.
          Epiphany is a perfectly good browser (I've used it), but well...

GNOME != KDE

:P

On bookmarks, I'd rather have mine alphabetised. At present I have none though, they were on the laptop that died, I need to get round to fixing it/salvaging the data.
          I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Originally posted by cantab
            Originally posted by aged hippy
            Epiphany:

Epiphany is a perfectly good browser (I've used it), but well...

GNOME != KDE

On bookmarks, I'd rather have mine alphabetised. At present I have none though, they were on the laptop that died, I need to get round to fixing it/salvaging the data.
            Alright - i hadn't got my glasses on.

Comment

Try it. It might still work.
              Plenty of GTK apps run fine under KDE... The GIMP, to name just one...

Of course, you'll probably need many GNOME libraries.
              For external use only.

Comment

What do i do to move my thunbderbird info contact, msgs. from M$ to gutsy?

Ted

Comment

I really like SeaMonkey, but the fact that it's not in the repositories makes me think there's a good reason it's not as popular as Firefox/Thunderbird. Am I missing something?
                  Repositories are a good place to start, BUT....

There are Mozilla products (Firefox/Thunderbird):
                  http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/

and
                  Mozilla Projects (Seamonkey...)
                  http://www.mozilla.org/projects/

Ubuntuzilla
                  http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                  This is the home of the Ubuntuzilla project, which is a python script that allows the user to install the latest versions of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla SeaMonkey, and Mozilla Thunderbird on Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntuzilla has a support forum on the Ubuntu Forums in the 3rd party projects area, which you are encouraged to use if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Links:

Topic: Installing Firefox with Adept
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087681.0

Topic: Disappointed in Thunderbird on Kubuntu/Ubuntu
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088028.0

Topic: Installing SeaMonkey
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=13160.0
                  Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                  1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                  2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
                  X