This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Program crash not starting apport-qt on Gutsy

I am new to Kubuntu, but having been using Linux for many years, Gentoo for the last several. I noticed some files in /var/crash and learned that they are for reporting program crashes. Nice feature I think. Here's the problem, I never received a notification for these. I read about apport in the Ubuntu Wiki and either I should've received a notification immediately or on the taskbar after the fact. I do have apport-qt (I did a clean Kubuntu install) but nothing ever displayed for me.

It seems adept_notifier should provide this feature, am I wrong? Something I need to enable? I do have adept_notifier running, package updates show in the task bar OK.
    "Ye must be born again." - John 3:7

Re: Program crash not starting apport-qt on Gutsy

I don't know, maybe just a bug or maybe we're not supposed to be notified; I just checked my '/var/crash' directory and found it contains entries for several program crashes, but was never notified of such either.

BTW - Thanks for filling me in

Edit: Actually, maybe they're talking about the 'program crashed' popup message I (and probably others too) receive sometimes after a program crashes; I don't remember reading anything about '/var/crash' though :P
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Hmm, I've only got two files in /var/crash, and I suspect both were created by strange behavior on my part.
      And I have only seen the Apport message once or twice since I installed Kubuntu...
      For external use only.

Comment

I am speaking of the "Program Crashed..." message with the option to report a bug. The program is apport-qt that displays that message. I've never seen. The two programs I don't think crashed, I killed them. I did see an entry for firefox, but I don't remember seeing a "Program Crashed" message, although I would be happy to send a report to help out if I could get apport to work correctly.

Any ideas? Perhaps I should file a bug report.
        "Ye must be born again." - John 3:7

Comment

I am speaking of the "Program Crashed..." message with the option to report a bug.
          I used to receive that error quite often when I was using the Gutsy beta, so, maybe it just pertains to betas I dunno'
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
          X