X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Todays update has downgraded firefox!!

Hi

I've just downloaded todays update which primarily consisted of upgrading firefox from 2.0.0.10 to 2.0.0.11. However, on running firefox and choosing help/about it shows I'm now running 2.0.0.7

Has something gone wrong here? Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Ian

Re: Todays update has downgraded firefox!!

I had some updates today, but it didn't include FireFox .10 to .11. Which is odd there.

--- Did a fetch updates. Showed up that time. --- I'll give it a go a see what it does.

Comment

I use Swiftfox from http://getswiftfox.com/builds/debian... Upgraded to 2.0.0.11 two days ago and works fine here.
      For external use only.

Comment

Just finished the update here and running fine and reports the correct version:

Code:
        Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071204 Ubuntu/7.10 (gutsy) Firefox/2.0.0.11

Comment

I appear to now be running 2.0.0.8....

... it works.

Comment

This is really odd! According to adept, I've got 2.0.0.11 installed, whereas according to help /about I've got Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071204 Firefox/2.0.0.7! I have uninstalled it, used apt-get clean and then re-downloaded it to no avail.

Ian

Comment

Mine is en-US and yours is en-GB. I wonder, has something to do with the Repos?

Comment

I'll post this again, here, just in case someone might use it.
                Best way I know to get FX and T-Bird.
                Gives the latest and update notifications.
                My understanding that it will install OK right over whatever you've already got, not mess up your bookmarks.
                Excellent documentation at the site.

Firefox (latest), Thunderbird (latest): http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I installed around 84Mb of updates tonight, and for the first time for a long time suffered a Black Screen of Death.

and the HD sounds like it's currently frying eggs....

Comment

Definitely something to about. Sorry to hear that! Hate when the HD sounds like that. Makes me cringe.

Comment

Changing to main server (which produced an update list of 29 files btw) and removing, cleaning and re-downloading FF did not work. Even moving the FF folder out of home and running from scratch still shows 2.0.0.7! Will try qqmikes idea.

Comment

Thanks for that link, Qqmike, i'm now running 2.0.0.11

And the HD sounds happy.

Edited to add:

and all bookmarks and plugins are intact.

Comment

Great link, thanks. Now on latest versions of Firefox and Thunderbird too

Ian

Comment

Just checked and mine updated to 2.0.0.11 en-GB as it should have done. I'm using Gran Paradiso at the mo anyway.
                            I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Glad you guys could use the link. The only problem I had was that clicking on a web link in Thunderbird email did not cause my FX browser to open and go to the link. But that is a well-known issue, too, and the fix is trivial and posted in the FAQ on that web site (I think on the right side bar). No real problems at all, and the update notifications are great.

I need to give credit to arochester for this link, which he gave me back in August when I was trying to install FX & T-Bird manually (that's yet another story).
                              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                              X