This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept commit error

Installed Kubuntu 7.10 today for the first time. I used the Adept Manager to update the 62 updates the Notifier suggested. The updates seemed to download and begin to install until I got to an error window about Adept Could Not Commit. I have no idea what that means.

I ran Adept again and it came up with another error message and after I clicked OK it opened. No updates were indicated so I guess all the updates installed even though the Adept Could Not Commit message seemed to come in the middle of the installs.

I had done nothing between installing Kubuntu and running the Adept Manager. (There were no errors or problems during the Kubuntu install.)

What do I do now?

TIA from a total Linux newby.
    Thomas

Re: Adept commit error

I was going to ask precisely the same. I'm a user with many years of experience in Windows, but know little about Linux. I ran Kubuntu Feisty (7.04) for several months and liked it very much. I downloaded and installed Gutsy (7.10) on a NEW partition a few days after it came out but I have recently constantly had the problem that was mentioned in the post above. To recreate the problem, I ran Adept Manager and looked for the first installed package that I could find, in this case "acpi". I right-click and select "Request Reinstall", then click "Apply Changes", and finally "Show Details":

(Reading database ... 98908 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace acpi 0.09-3ubuntu1 (using .../acpi_0.09-3ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement acpi ...

Setting up libqt3-mt (3:3.3.8really3.3.7-0ubuntu11.1) ...

Configuration file `/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc'
    ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
    ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
    What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
    Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O : keep your currently-installed version
    D : show the differences between the versions
    Z : background this process to examine the situation
    The default action is to keep your current version.
    *** qt_plugins_3.3rc (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? dpkg: error processing libqt3-mt (--configure):
    EOF on stdin at conffile prompt
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdesudo:
    kdesudo depends on libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.3.8really3.3.7); however:
    Package libqt3-mt is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing kdesudo (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Setting up acpi (0.09-3ubuntu1) ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    libqt3-mt
    kdesudo

WARNING: The text above was manually written from the window (i.e., through keyboard and not copy-paste) because the popup window did not let me highlight the text and copy. Thus, the copied message might have the odd character off. However, I did check and it seems like I made a faithful copy.

The popup windows that comes up on top of the message is:
    Title bar = "Could not commit changes - Adept Manager"
    Body = "There was an error commiting changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages."

I should note that I used Add/Remove Programs to install some software right after I installed Kubuntu. That worked fine. Perhaps it was one of those installations that began causing these problems, or perhaps one of the updates that show automatically. I used "acpi" as an example but basically everything causes this error. When an update shows automatically, I try to install it, this error is given, and then the update never shows up anymore. I don't think they're coming through, so it would be great to see if I could go back and install all of these "automatic" updates (or critical updates or whatever it is). I've tried reinstalling libqt3-mt and kdesudo, but the problem persists.

Help is appreciated...

Comment

Open up Konsole and "sudo dpkg --configure -a".
      For external use only.

Comment

Thanks SheeEttin, that solved that one.

Now I notice that at the bottom of the Adept window there is:
        download 08 installation 08

What does this mean and what do I do?

TIA

Comment

If you open the main Adept Manager window and click Fetch Updates, that will tell you if there are updates available that you do not have installed.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I have already tried the fetch updates and got 4 or 5 to update, but I still have the 08 at the bottom. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Wait for someone else ... I have what you have also, the 08, but I always ignore it. It almost looks like a hexadecimal representation of some code.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Ah... I see what you mean.
                That's not an eight, it's a B--as in bytes. It tells you how many bytes will be downloaded, and the net change in disk usage after installation (i.e. installing a package with 10 megabytes worth of files will show 10 MB, uninstalling that package will show -10 MB).
                For external use only.

Comment

sudo dpkg --configure -a
                  ^After I did this I ran some pending updates (something about OpenOffice), and they came through OK.

However, I don't think older updates got installed. The behavior used to be that attempts at updates failed, but then they disappeared as if they had been installed correctly.

Is there a way for me to make the system reinstall all the updates released since Gutsy came out? Please note that I did run the Fetch Updates from Adept Manager, but nothing gets marked. Again, I think updates were never applied but marked as if they were.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I think that the updates actually do get installed. It appears to freeze up when the error window pops up, however there is a small slider down in the lower right of the Adept main window that keeps moving. I think that is the updates continuing to process while the main window appears frozen.

Comment

Working...
                    X