This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opera and OpenOffice don't start

Suddenly today, both Opera (a great web browser) and OpenOffice fail to start.

Opera
    Code:
    $ opera
    Floating point exception (core dumped)

OpenOffice

The splash screen appears,
    then the KDE crash handler appears over the splash screen,
    I then click close and crash handler disappears,
    then the OpenOffice splash screen disappears.

From the console,
    Code:
    $ ooffice -writer
    KCrash: Application 'soffice.bin' crashing...

** (process:7863): WARNING **: Unknown error forking main binary / abnormal early exit ...
    and the following from KDE crasher, I've removed some (no debugging symbols found) lines.

(no debugging symbols found)
    Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".
    [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
    [New Thread -1249253696 (LWP 7880)]
    [KCrash handler]
    #6 0xb4ac5b97 in SalDisplay::Init ()
    from /usr/lib/openoffice/program/libvclplug_gen680li.so
    #7 0xb4ac72dc in SalX11Display::SalX11Display ()
    from /usr/lib/openoffice/program/libvclplug_gen680li.so
    #8 0xb5856db1 in ?? ()
    from /usr/lib/openoffice/program/libvclplug_kde680li.so
    #9 0x080efc18 in ?? ()
    #10 0x080bb1e8 in ?? ()
    #11 0x00000000 in ?? ()

Re: Opera and OpenOffice don't start

I have now removed the .opera config folder from home, I now see the following when I use the console
    Code:
    ~$ opera
    ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    Floating point exception (core dumped)

Comment

This is most odd.

I finally restarted the PC and now both Opera and OpenOffice work. The size of the type in Adept was very small (almost unreadable), now it looks fine, back to it's usual size.

This is how Windows usually behaves, I thought Linux was better

I have restored the .opera folder in home, but Opera is still causing the same errors from the console
      Code:
      $ opera %u
      I'll ask Opera about this problem

Comment

Have you changed anything since the last time you ran Opera/OO.o? Even going back to the last time you started your system?

Mike
        http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Last night I managed to press ctrl, alt and F4 at the same time (I was trying to kill Super Tux).

Instead of logging in I turned the PC off. When I started up this morning Kubuntu performed its regular disk scan. I got bored watching the line move across the screen (it's a 500GB HD) and wandered off.

When I came back, the usual login screen had appeared, so I entered my password. The text on the login screen and the text under the desktop icons all looked a bit smaller than usual.

Between login and discovering the Opera/OO.o problem I had checked my emails, applied an update of WINE and played an hour of Urban Terror.

It was whilst using Adept to update WINE that I noticed the type size was a lot smaller than usual. I then looked at the desktop and that text also looked smaller.

I went to system settings / appearance / fonts and adjusted all the fonts from 11pt to 12pt. The desktop type increased in size, but Adept's didn't (even when reopened).

It was after this that I tried OO and then Opera. Eventually I had to drag Konqueror out of retirement and ask for help.

Comment

I have found something that might help. It relates to java.

http://my.opera.com/SolimiaN/blog/20...loaded-ignored

Which makes sense, OO.o uses java and so does Opera. Something was probably corrupted or broken with java. Search through Adept for all the java packages you have installed. I recommend removing then reinstalling them.

Mike
            http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for the link.

After the restart OO started OK, I managed to complete the task at hand and then turned my attention to Opera. Oddly Opera had also started to work, but running it from the console still gave the same two errors.
              Code:
              I have now had a fiddle with Adept and the Java packages installed, the above errors have gone, but have been replaced by some others.

Comment

And those others are...?
                For external use only.

Comment

Ah, yes, well ....

I don't know.

Yeserday when I started Opera from the console, the new messages were something about Shockwave / Flash and Adobe with some numbers and locations.

I have recently restarted the PC, today Opera via the console
                  Code:
                  $ opera
                  opera: Plug-in 6006 is not responding. It will be closed.
                  opera: Define environment variable OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN to keep blocked plug-ins.

Comment

Working...
                  X