Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the thing u want or expect in HARDY HERON(next release)??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the thing u want or expect in HARDY HERON(next release)??

Click "Settings -> Configure Shortcuts"; double-click the "Copy" option and you should be able to set it then.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Unable to click (after doing what you said) any of the buttons that would allow for the selection of the shortcut key combination I want. Have you actually been able to set this action
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, it works OK for me. Maybe try reinstalling Konsole I dunno', what combination are you trying to set? I'll see if I can use it here.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I'm not able to set anything for the Copy command. Neither of the shortcut buttons you need to click open up anything to select from.

Comment

Are you able to get to the "Configure Shortcuts" screen?
            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Yep. See Snapshot.
              Attached Files

Comment

When you click the box beside "Primary shortcut:", will it accept commands from your keyboard?
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Ohhhhh!! So that's how you do it. :P Okay, it works. I was expecting to click one of the buttons and have a window open in which to either select the key combinations or to set them. Didn't think to just start pressing keys!!.

Comment

I think all that euphoria's gone to your head (you might want to calm down a little, flames are usually detrimental to your health)

Edit: Really, I'm just glad you got it working; I didn't have a clue what to do if it wouldn't accept commands from your keyboard :P
                    Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

One the dichotomies of Linux, is the disjointed ying-yang of the many packages. Not everything is either 'intuitive' or 'obvious', and many 'assume' the user should just 'know' what to do. The dichotomy is in the resulting frustration that creates, and the joy one realizes when you get it to work.

"It was the best of times. It was the worst of times."

Comment

@Snowhog: Notice I said "right-click/context menu"? To make it clearer:

Konsole 3 - right-click menu
                        Konsole 4 - Edit menu

But
                        In both Konsole 3 and 4, you can use keyboard shortcuts for Copy and Paste. The only difference is that in Konsole 3, there is no default keyboard shortcut for Copy, while Paste is set to Shift+Insert. In Konsole 4, Copy is Ctrl+Shift+C, and Paste is Ctrl+Shift+V.

You can edit/create your own shortcut for it, just like in any other KDE app, in Settings -> Configure Shortcuts.
                        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

. . . many 'assume' the user should just 'know' what to do. The dichotomy is in the resulting frustration that creates, and the joy one realizes when you get it to work.
                          @Snowhog, in case you're thinking I was thinking you weren't thinking, I wasn't (just milking the euphoria thing, I thought that was pretty cool).

@Jucato, thanks for the clarification; I'm looking forward to Thursday. Any way I can help will make me happy

Edit: Oh, it is Thursday!!!
                          Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

The below I posted when RC2 came out. Is that live CD purposefully the way it is? Do I have to actually download KDE4 to a "test" machine to see the full install?

Well, I expected more improvement than that. Yes, I know it is new and things will be different. That isn't the issue. With the Live CD, there seems to be so much missing. Network Control, Display Control. System Settings seemed very lacking. Am I missing something?? Panel Control wasn't highly visible either. There just seems to be so much missing especially for something tagged as a release candidate. Is the Live CD complete? I like the "feel" of the initial look once in, but after that it seems to fall apart. Again, is it me?

Comment

Here's some I'd really really like to see.

1. Give me an option on the live CD during boot to just install the darn OS. I download the live CD to show people, but sometimes I just want to install the thing without waiting 15 minutes while it unpacks and loads KDE before I can even click the install button, which is dead slow because I'm running from memory. I shouldn't have to download and burn an entirely separate CD just to be able to install the OS without loading up the whole system first. Both options should be on one disk.

2. When I put the cd in check for existing installations and give me access to them and any drives I happen to have installed. Take this even further by giving me a fix this installation, or restore defaults option. Save my home folders and users, restore everything else to default. That way if it breaks I don't lose everything and I have an easy restore option. I can tell my friends "Ok, just put the CD in and click restore, it'll keep your files you'll just have to reinstall any games you downloaded"

3. And kind of linked to 2, when I put in the CD/DVD and go to install the OS check for and give me the option of keeping any existing /home directories I happen to have installed. This should not be dependent on the /home directory being on a separate partition because the installer doesn't default to a separate /home partition (so most people won't have one). I don't know how many times I've had to go through and backup /home folders just to upgrade a distribution that has a slow internet connection. It would be so much easier if it just said, "hey there are some home folders on this drive, would you like to keep them?"

4. Use a better network manager, Wicd or something would be better, the default knetwork is horrid. I actually have to manually turn my network on every time my pc starts. The setting options in knetwork are awful.

System settings need to be more centralized, I have to go one place to setup my print server, another place to setup my display, another place to setup my keyboard, somewhere else for sound, somewhere else for...

When I set up a printer I should be able to just click "Share with network", instead I have to spend 3 hours figuring out how to setup cups to work with samba.

It's the little things that make an OS useful. You don't need things like GIMP installed by default, you need to be able to find something like GIMP easily and quickly and be able to print your picture once you install it without having to find cups and samba (I shouldn't even have to know what they are). You need to be able to put in the CD walk away, come back and have your system working again with all of your files after X stopped working. I should have a button that says "Add new programs" that shows me ALL software available instead of having to know that Synaptic (Adept is awful for finding programs) installs new software.

Comment

Originally posted by Yodabunny
                                I should have a button that says "Add new programs" that shows me ALL software available instead of having to know that Synaptic (Adept is awful for finding programs) installs new software.
                                I disagree. Add/Remove Programs contains everything the beginning user is likely to need in a very easy to use format. And adept package manager has everything else you could need, sure its not set up very application centric, but that because many of the things are not apps so much as misc packages. Plus because of dependencies you pretty much just have to install any one package containing the name of some app you want and the whole thing will be installed.

Comment

Working...
                                X