Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the thing u want or expect in HARDY HERON(next release)??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the thing u want or expect in HARDY HERON(next release)??

Proper pcmcia HD support! Since Feisty, kernel support for pcmcia HD's got messed up. Support for these devices (they are true HDs with platters and heads contained in a pcmcia type II card) no longer works, and the HD can not be accessed. More than one bug report on this problem has been reported to launchpad and is being looked into.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

A free computer and a bag of popcorn please
      Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Comment

Comment

Motorola Phone Tools for the Razr V3!

Comment

The ability to set a static IP address EASILY WITHOUT HASSLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who knows, maybe then people will join my games in Warcraft....

Comment

Originally posted by nogagplz
              The ability to set a static IP address EASILY WITHOUT HASSLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              It is easy... System Settings > Network Settings > Configure Interface > Manual.
              Make sure you choose an address that your router isn't using for DHCP.

Oh, and there's port forwarding to consider, too...
              For external use only.

Comment

It does not stick the settings, therefore not easy and hassle...

Port Forwarding is fine though, the router was a piece of cake to setup

Comment

Actually, in all seriousness (and i don't know if someone has asked for this already) I wouldn't mind a decent program and graphical front end for easily setting up the extra 6 or so buttons on my laser mouse. I kinda gave up on the "Many Button Mouse" how too cause it worked about as well as a chocolate teapot.

Tah! x
                  Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Comment

I'd like to see it have the push-button capability to install itself to flash drive as a * Live * operating system (just like a Live Kubuntu CD that can be used Live or to install itself onto another drive). That would mean the Live installer CD would have such an option on it. I saw this with Puppy and man is it nice, clean, and handy. That way, the experts do this for us in a "best" way that is optimal in some sense and we are spared the 15-step-hope-this-darned-thing-works-after-I'm-done experience.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

A feature I liked about both Puppy Linux and DSL, is the ability to load the Live CD into your memory; it's not such a cool feature for low RAM systems, but for those sufficient, it makes for an amazingly fast Live CD experience (i.e. please include a feature on the Live CD bootscreen that allows the entire CD to be loaded into RAM, por favor)

Edit: Also, create a feature in Adept that allows users to install .deb (and other) packages.
                      Asus G1S-X3:
                      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

A lot of the suggestions here look a lot like we would want a suse type installation. Well for my part I would just like to have a ubiquity that works on any computer. As much as i like the suse approach I also think it goes against what *ubuntu wants in their installer. It isn't neccessairy either because the install is supposed to be quick and as minimal yet user friendly as possible.
                        I live installed hardy fine the first time, borked it and had to reinstall. The second time around it started going weird again (live almost *ubuntu live install on this machine) at the very end of the install again. (Black screen, press a key, install process gone, etc).

Don't get me wrong and no criticism intended but setting up the printer, video card, etc from the install? Get real, it can't even set the keyboard to something other than English correctly (so it is actually is something other than English after install!!)

If they can't get ubiquity to work then why not include the text installer as a choice on the cd.

I know it is alpha but ubiquity is such a hit and run proposition with some machines and I want to trust it where ever I want to install. Bthw, booting with acpi = off doesn't cut it either.

Ubiquity for kubuntu has been around for a long enough time for it to be stable by now! >

As an example: this afternoon I will be installing kubuntu gutsy on a teacher friends computer so he can evaluate the possibilities of putting linux on their school wide networks desktops (250). Me and a network friend are already migrating their windows network to Linux (ubuntu).

I know I will have to use the alt cd because I don't want to have to do some lame explaining when ubiquity screws around again.

Anecdote: when I tried to install mint kde community 4.= (beta) a few weeks ago the ubiquity wouldn't work either so I had to install the gnome ubuquity from the cli first because the kde interface was broken.

Just my two very sad (and a bit mad) 2.5 cents while the hardy alt cd is downloading.
                        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
                          Edit: Also, create a feature in Adept that allows users to install .deb (and other) packages.
                          Seems to me this would involve heaps of work for very little return. Its already so easy to install them with gdebi, simply right-click>install. Why do you need it in adept (to remove later?).
                          Not to mention the plan should really be that everything you need is packaged and in the repos and so .debs are unused by any average user.

@Fintan: Is it really a good idea to use a pre-release version of hardy for that? Surely you would be better off using dapper or feisty (it seems the most reliable since dapper) until hardy is actually released.

Comment

Many suggestions; many observations. It's amazing just what 2.5 cents will get you these days.

I think that what is needed 'out of the box' in every *ubuntu release, is simply this:
                            Get the user to a finished Desktop - period - without hacks being required. It's been suggested, and I heartally agree, that the installer have a fallback, known to work configuration, that will ensure the installation finishes, and the user sees a Desktop. This should be easy enough to do, and would pay huge dividends in terms of initial user satisfaction.

My 3.75 cents (sorry; inflation you know).
                            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I suppose I take for granted the point Snowhog made here, as do many of you. But that’s the ticket, for sure. Like it or not, Windows XP, after it installs, pretty much, almost always, gives you something to play with and click around on and go places and get some mail and print some love letters and look at some pics and movies and .…

As I said recently to one of you, to say that Linux (including K/Ubuntu) is not ready for Aunt Minnie would be the Barbara Walters Understatement of the Year winner. When you read all the posts at all the boards, you gotta sorta smile. Folks get a new OS and can’t even use the CD player! Or they download a game or something for their hobby and can’t even find it, let alone start it playing. And so on, as you all know. We here are too close to it to see it objectively. We’ve taken for granted that if you really want it to work, you have to hack it and it ain’t no big deal. Imagine sending Aunt Minnie to her fstab or the X-server config or into one of the various /etc/*. She’d have a stroke, as would Uncle Binnie.
                              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

What i'd like to see fixed in Adept in the next release....

I decided to remove from this installation (with Add-Remove Programs) some of the programs and extras i don't need or use, and it's surprising how much space has been freed.

... but i find that if i try to remove KTips, it will cause kde-core and kdebase to also go, and if i try to remove PrintJobs (as i don't have a printer) not only is kde-print going, but also kde-core and kdebase, and kubuntu-desktop into the bargain.

It seems to me that -- having once learned the hard way -- this issue needs addressing with some haste, i.e. before the next release, maybe by not allowing anything to remove crucial data unless it is specifically requested by the user, and even then, a couple of Windows-type "Are you Really, Really sure..? If you proceed, you will Kill Your Installation...??" type boxes should have to be answered "Yes".

Yes, i realise that there is "Preview Changes" available, but not every new user knows about that -- especially as there isn't a handbook available for Adept....

Just my tuppence-worth....
                                de-flation.

Comment

Working...
                                X