This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE component removal

There are some KDE component I don't like to use so I do apt-get remove them, but by doing so I remove other component I needed as well, ie. I apt-get remove kfind but this remove konqueror as well, I need to install it back, is there a better way to do that ?
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Re: KDE component removal

"apt-get install konqueror".

This is why you look at what's actually going to happen before you hit Y...
    Or, better yet, use Adept's "show changes" function. (I think that's what it's called...)
    For external use only.

Comment

Yes I have done that, but I wonder why Konqueror will be removed as well, I don't see anything it has to do with kfind.
      Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

Dependencies:

apt-cache show konqueror:
        Depends: kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.7-1), libacl1 (>= 2.2.11-1), libart-2.0-2 (>= 2.3.18), libattr1 (>= 2.4.4-1), libaudio2, libc6 (>= 2.6-1), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0), libfreetype6 (>= 2.3.5), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.2.1), libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0), libidn11 (>= 0.5.18), libjpeg62, libkonq4 (>= 4:3.5.7-1), libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4), libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.3.8really3.3.7), libsm6, libstdc++6 (>= 4.2.1), libx11-6, libxcursor1 (>> 1.1.2), libxext6, libxft2 (>> 2.1.1), libxi6, libxinerama1, libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.2.0), libxrender1, libxt6, zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg-1), kcontrol (= 4:3.5.8-0ubuntu2), kdebase-kio-plugins (= 4:3.5.8-0ubuntu2), kdesktop (= 4:3.5.8-0ubuntu2), kfind (= 4:3.5.8-0ubuntu2), gs-esp-x
        You can remove kfind from dependency list (don't know if konqueror works after that).

Tampering .deb:
        Topic: why does libxine1 package need gnome libraries on kubuntu?
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088925.0
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I don' t think would be good to remove kfind from the dependency. Konqueror needs KFind to implement it's Find Files/Folder (Ctrl+F while in file management).

Be careful in trying to "lose weight" on your system. Just because you don't like or use a package, doesn't mean nothing else does.
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

I concur.
            To give this a win perspective.
            A few years back I installed Firefox on a win machine and thought: "Wow don't need IExplorer anymore" so I got rid of it. My next attempt at booting that machine showed me how "stupid" I was :P
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
              I concur.
              To give this a win perspective.
              A few years back I installed Firefox on a win machine and thought: "Wow don't need IExplorer anymore" so I got rid of it. My next attempt at booting that machine showed me "stupid" I was :P
              At least you're not alone....

I came to the conclusion that I.E. was actually the OS, and everything else depended on it.

I loved the boot message: "You closed a program illegally, so I'm now going to check every single byte on every Hard Drive I can find" -- that invariably appeared whenever a program crashed..... which was frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by lotech
                There are some KDE component I don't like to use so I do apt-get remove them, but by doing so I remove other component I needed as well, ie. I apt-get remove kfind but this remove konqueror as well, I need to install it back, is there a better way to do that ?
                Yeah, you can't. Well not really. The version of konqueror in Kubuntu depends on KFind for its functionality.

If you REALLY REALLY REALLY want Konqueror without KFind (which will then remove the normal find files capability), your only recourse is to compile it yourself, perhaps even modifying the code (though I would suspect there might be a compile-time option).
                I wouldn't recommend you do this unless you have some very specific reason to, e.g. trying to make the smallest KDE possible.
                I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Originally posted by cantab
                  I wouldn't recommend you do this unless you have some very specific reason to, e.g. trying to make the smallest KDE possible.
                  And if you do have a desire to shrink your install as much as possible it may be time to look at distros such as xubuntu (uses xfce instead of kde which is much lighter), puppy linux, and DSL (damn small linux) that are designed to be lightweight.

Comment

Working...
                  X