This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

video reset

Hi Newbieone knownuffink here I did a version update to 7.10 from 7.04 and everything was OK. It all worked. Then I found a tab called restricted drivers. So I clicked on it. It said ATI (which I have) so I clicked on that. Now I get the kubuntu statup bar then the screen goes blank. any clues on how to revert to the previous ati drivers. Using ESC on startup I can get to a text only screen. If I type startx from there the same thing happens black screen. I'm new at this so I dont know what files to search for or when I find them what to change. I'm doing this from my windows machine (see they are usefull for something). Any help would be appreciated as I dont want to go through the download rebuild run update thing again.

regards Box

Re: video reset

This will tell you how to get back to a GUI that you can use (turn off "restricted driver manager" first):

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

Then, you might want to try the Envy script installer and see if it will do a better job installing a suitable ATI driver:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086232.0

Comment

hey guys Thanks for the input. when I tried the 1st line sudo dpkg etc it told me that the xserver was not installed thats as far as I could get. any more help

Comment

That's... Uh... Odd, to say the least.
        Open up Adept Manager and search for "xserver-xorg". Is that package installed?
        For external use only.

Comment

It seems Kubuntu is not ATI friendly, I got an old PCI ATI display and occasionally the display crash can't start X or the setting does not save, or the LCD monitor go out of sync. with the display mode, I don't have this problem with other display.
          Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

It seems Kubuntu is not ATI friendly,
            Is AMD (Ati) Linux friendly ?

I don't have problems with Ati Radeon 9600 XT (fglrx) but...

Link:

Topic: FAQ: Links - How to Install AMD(Ati) Proprietary Linux Display Driver (fglrx)
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085652.0
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Hi everypeeps. Thanks for all your input. Yes ATI is linux friendly. I dont normally have a problem. So what did I do?
              Well I downloaded 7.10 and run the installer from the live DVD. Great server guys 4.4GB in 2.5 hours. That fell over as well. I then reinstalled 7.04 then onto the version upgrade button in adept and now its all working. I have noticed that the driver installed now is an ATI driver not the fg...

So thank you all very much for your help and I think we will consider this closed.

Comment

Working...
              X