X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo editors?

Excuse me if this is in the wrong spot.

Kubuntu 7.10

On windows I use Macromedia Fireworks MX (2004) for all my photo editing needs. I have switched a desktop to Kubuntu and am looking for software that is comparable to what I used to use.

Is there any photo software that is in the higher end of the market for Kubuntu 7.10?
    Or would I get the same photo editing results by installing wine and running it there?

Re: Photo editors?

well gimp is prolly the closest you can get to photoshop...
    <br />

Comment

I don't know Fireworks. But according to Wikipedia it's primarily a vector graphics program. Why were you using it for photos (which are bitmaps)?

For bitmap editing, look no further than The GIMP. Unless you're doing VERY basic operations, like simple resizing or format conversion, in which case the command-line tool 'convert', from the ImageMagick suite, is quicker.

For vector graphics, try Inkscape, or Xara.
      I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

What I use Fireworks* mainly for is to resize, crop, merge, copy & paste photos and a photo converter. Also for creating web logos and sites.

I'm not real big into graphics, but I'll take photos, crop, resize. The image will be 1meg plus, use the export wizard to make it jpeg down to a web handling size.

I'll check out GIMP when I return home from work.

I did have a peek at http://www.xaraxtreme.org

*Notes:
        Macromedia Fireworks MX Publisher's Description

Macromedia created Fireworks as a complete graphics applications aimed towards Web designers. It offers more advanced image control than existing packages, such as Photoshop or CorelDraw, for work that specifically relates to the Internet. Fireworks enables web designers to produce high quality images, export them in a variety of file formats while retaining excellent file size compression.

Fireworks surpasses other rivals as it also enables you to edit text, graphics and effects at any stage during production. Fireworks also simplifies the process of making JavaScript buttons with mouseover effects, all combined with automatic HTML generation.

This products is obviously aimed squarely at web designers who are currently restricted by the limitations of Photoshop and the endless workarounds that are necessary to convert images accurately to the web.

The combination of excellent vectors and bit-map tools, exporting capabilities and powerful Web-specific features ensure its success with Web designers. Though its interface suffers from a mass of palettes and toolbars, like Macromedia’s other product Dreamweaver, this can be easily forgiven considering the remarkable features that it offers.

Comment

For the more fancy photo edit's I use The Gimp, both in Windows and Linux.
          But for simpler stuff like resizing I'm quite happy to use the editor of Digicam.
          Gwenview uses the same plugins as Digicam and is an other option for simple editing.
          Oh yes, a new comer is Krita, i find it promising but still lacking.

In windows it's Irfanview that rules, you can run it via wine.

Comment

I used PaintShop Pro for years with Windows, for my "enthusiast" or "hobbyist" level of photo/image editing and cleanups. The Gimp is a fully satisfactory replacement -- I can do everything with Gimp that I used to do with PaintShop Pro, and then some.

Comment

Working...
            X