This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop Theme Creator

This question has probably been asked before, but.

Are there any plans for making a Desktop Theme Creator? I know there are heaps to choose from at KDE-LOOK.ORG, but I miss trying to create my own. I am familiar with theme creation on (the other operating system that I will not mention). The "other" OS has a variety of programs to choose from, surely KDE can match or better, what the "other" OS can do?

Regards

J
    Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your ear to the ground, your nose to the grindstone and your back against the wall....&nbsp; <br /><br />Now, try and work in that position!!

Re: Desktop Theme Creator

System Settings > Appearance. Whole lot of stuff in there.
    For external use only.

Comment

Yes, you can customize the appearance there. But the option to load and save themes (ie combined colours, window decorations, widgets, and maybe other aesthetic aspects) is rather well hidden. It's not in systemsettings, but is in the older kcontrol (run it, as normal user, then look in appearance and themes)

That's a major gripe I have with KDE actually. When they introduced the new systemsettings, a good chunk of the functionality from kcontrol isn't in it! :@
      I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

CustomizeKubuntu
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CustomizeKubuntu
        Based on the [WWW] KDE Theming Guide

It is quite easy to customize the look and feel of your Kubuntu desktop by individually controlling different parts of the visual appearance. This guide gives a explains how to theme your Kubuntu desktop by tweaking some of the customizable parts of KDE, the powerful desktop environment used by Kubuntu.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thankyou for all your suggestions.

I am aware of the "kcontrol" method of managing themes. I am also aware of the KDM changer as well. Thankyou for the link to "Customize Kubuntu", and have "bookmarked" it. Apart from the link reference, all the other stuff is to do with "managing" themes. I know that the theme creators for "the other operating system" are also managers, but at least they give all the flexibility of the "link" references in one package and then give you the ability to save all your changes and recall (reload) them at leasure. The "Customize" link seems to be a great idea, but seems to be time consuming. If I were pressed for time, I probably would leave my desktop "as is". I will, however, try the "customize" method. But I am not sure how to save the current setup and reload it, if my changes are not what I want.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Again, thankyou for your suggestions.

Regards

J
          Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your ear to the ground, your nose to the grindstone and your back against the wall....&nbsp; <br /><br />Now, try and work in that position!!

Comment

If you create a theme you like either with Theme manager or via System Settings, start Theme Manager, go to ->Appearance and Themes ->Theme Manager and select the <Create new theme> button - it will save your current theme in /home/*usrname*/.kde/share/apps/kthememanager/themes/
            It also creates a directory which contains a screen-shot.

Comment

Excellent. With that info I can confidently "experiment". Looks like I still have much to learn. Many thanks.

Regards,

J

Comment

You're Welcome.

My thanks to cantab for the original information.
                I've been experimenting with it all morning.

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
                  There ya go again, experimenting with stuff, trying to 'expand' your mind by altering current reality.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    Originally posted by aged hippy
                    There ya go again, experimenting with stuff, trying to 'expand' your mind by altering current reality.
                    My mind is already expanded as it is.... note the "non-local entity" bit....
                    I'm just trying to decide what "reality" actually is.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X