This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm new, humour me...

I just switched over from Windows not long ago after a little experience with vista. I have used Ubuntu before but like the KDE look more. Then i realized i know well, noting can anyone tell me a few basic things.

How to install:
    Pidgin Messenger (Formally Gaim, I don't really like Kopete)
    Wine
    Apache (I like to play with web servers )

Both the command line and the clicky clicky way would be nice, I used aptitude to get Firefox but the other packages don't seam to be on the list and I cant use "sudo apt-get install apache" to get them thanks for any help.

PS. If anyones knows of a idiots guide to kubuntu greatly appreciated.

Re: i'm new, humour me...

The older "Gaim" can be installed by selecting it in Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manager). The latest version (now Pidgin 2.2.2) is not available as a .deb package at this time, as far as I've been able to determine. It is available as a source tar ball, and would require compiling.

Wine can be installed via Adept Manager as well. You will need a working copy of Windoze once Wine is installed.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If you're going to use your box to develop web servers (as opposed to just running one in production), I'd recommend just having a local installation within your home directory. That way you can tweak it however you like without resorting to sudo all the time, but your mileage may vary.

Comment

You also might want to enable extra repositories.
        In Adept, go to Adept > Manage Repositories. (The config file is at /etc/apt/sources.list, if you wish to modify it by hand.)

You may also be interested in Webmin; it's a great configuration interface for many things.
        For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          The older "Gaim" can be installed by selecting it in Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manager). The latest version (now Pidgin 2.2.2) is not available as a .deb package at this time, as far as I've been able to determine. It is available as a source tar ball, and would require compiling.
          Pidgin 2.2.1 is available from the Ubuntu repositories, so if you don't care about running the absolute latest version (they're up to 2.3.0 now), then that's an easy option.

Comment

Wine can be installed via Adept Manager as well. You will need a working copy of Windoze once Wine is installed.
            Pidgin is available as a package in Gutsy - see here.

Originally posted by SuperPetRalf
            Both the command line and the clicky clicky way would be nice, I used aptitude to get Firefox but the other packages don't seam to be on the list and I cant use "sudo apt-get install apache" to get them thanks for any help.
            For apache and pidgin try this:

Code:
            sudo apt-get install apache2
            sudo apt-get install pidgin
            For Wine you will first need to enable the Universe repository and then the following should work:

Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get install wine
            Kubuntu user since initial release version 5.04 8)

Comment

No you don't need a working copy of windows to be able to use wine. In fact you don't need windows at all. In linux all you need is wine, and occasionally extra dll files which can be gotten from the net.

Comment

I stand (humbly) corrected. :P
                Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100% non-Microsoft code, however Wine can optionally use native Windows DLLs if they are available.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Welcome to the club.

As noted above pidgin is in the repos.

For apache I use lamp:
                  http://lamphowto.com/

or xampp:
                  http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

the latest wine is here:
                  http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

Why not give vmware a go? I use it for all my adobe photoshop cs3, flash cs3 and dreamweaver cs3 work.

Of course there is virtual box which gas made some great improvements. For more:
                  http://www.fsckin.com/2007/10/29/how.../#comment-1584

Enjoy

Oh, I almost forgot the humor bit:
                  http://www.fsckin.com/2007/11/22/ins...-in-2-minutes/

you might the page that link is on interesting as well
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by S-99
                    No you don't need a working copy of windows to be able to use wine. In fact you don't need windows at all. In linux all you need is wine, and occasionally extra dll files which can be gotten from the net.
                    True, but I've had most success when there is a real Windows install for Wine to look at. Though, I've had little success with Wine full stop Can never get anything to work in it. If you're willing to fork out, it may be worth looking at commercial virtualisation - CrossOverOffice for 'regular' applications, or Cedega if your main focus is games. Both have trial versions (for cedega, only the latest development snapshot, search for 'cvscedega')
                    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Working...
                    X