X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dd Vs. Ghost

Hi all.

I started fooling around with dd after using a copy of my friend's Norton Ghost. Is there any *real* difference with the images in terms of accuracy of the image?

Also, can someone show me how I can get a md5 checksum of the image as a text file after I image my HDD?

Thanks guys.

Re: dd Vs. Ghost

Generating an md5 checksum on a file is straight forward. Type:
    Code:
    md5 path/filename
    If you are in the directory where the file is to be checked, omit the path.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog,

So from what I can understand, you mean:

dd (if & of) | md5 blah.img>md5_of_Image.txt?

EDIT: I'm not sure if ">" can be used in Linux, but I know text can be saved in this way in Windows.

Comment

If I understand your question, yes. You are first creating a file with dd and then piping the resulting file to the md5 command, with the result being redirected to a file. And yes, in Linux the redirection symbol '>' (to 'send/output' to) and '<' (to 'read/input' from) is correct.

Comment

Something to note:
          ">" will overwrite a file. ">>" will append to the file.

Note, also, that "dd if=foo | md5sum" will send the disk info only to stdout. Use "dd if=foo of=bar; md5sum bar" to write to a file and calculate the MD5 checksum. (";" is just used to separate two commands; the dd and md5sum can be put on separate lines.)

On dd vs. Ghost: dd makes an identical bit-for-bit copy of the disk. Ghost probably just backs up the data on the disk (and a little more).
          I have never used Ghost, though.

Oh, and as always, be very, very careful when using dd. It can easily screw up your system, badly. Measure twice, cut once.
          For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
            Measure twice, cut once.
            "Measure twice, get a second opinion, question the answer, rest, ..."

And yes to what SheeEttin says about using dd.

Comment

Ghost makes a complete copy. The difference is in the way they go about it and the format of the image file. One difference, dd is free, Ghost costs money

Comment

Working...
              X