X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

screensaver

I have three posts:

1.) Is there anyway to have your screensaver run all night? In all other distros (I've tried), there is a power management setting to allow you to change the setting to "none" or "never."

2.) I am running compiz and after the login, the screen goes blank for a moment before the desktop shows. Is anyone else having this problem?

3.) When I go to make adjustments in open office with something I'm working on for ex: Format>Page, I get a full gray screen with the setting in the upper left hand corner.

Re: screensaver

1. The only way I know to run the screen saver for a long while is to run it as "test", from the screen saver settings window. Pretty clunky -- I know. You would have to disable your power management settings, I think, to keep it from powering down your screen, when the screensaver runs in its normal mode.

2. That momentary blanking that you see is the switchover from KDE to compiz graphics management -- it is a normal thing.

3. The OO problem (which I have too) is apparently an incompatibility of OO with compiz. I'm told if you disable compiz (i.e. run kwin) then OO works correctly. I haven't tried it myself -- I'm able to use OO Writer for my purposes even with the display problems.

HTH

Comment

Re: screensaver

Thanks, I know that you are a volume of information.

I have played around with Suse and found that it also has that black screen when starting compiz.
      I am thinking it might be an issue with KDE. When working in Ubuntu, it does not have that behavior. (But it does take a long time to go from the login to desktop (with or without compiz installed).

All things said, I still prefer Kubuntu. It is less bloated with things I do not need.

Comment

Working...
      X