Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running keep (backup) to local windows computer gives /var/lib/python errors!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running keep (backup) to local windows computer gives /var/lib/python errors!

New 7.10 install.

I have mounted //mymachine/myshare with smb4k at //mymachine/myshare. At a kdesu terminal I can cd //mymachine/myshare, then mkdir mybackup successfully. i.e. I can access the share very much the same way as one would with Windows UNC paths. Just using the opposite slashed. e.g. //mymachine/d$ is the d drive of that computer.

- clearly have write access or I couldn't have created the directory.

In keep I have set to back up / to //mymachine/d/self-backup.

Running the backup gives me a page of /var/lib/python errors.
    - would I be running into difficulties because //mymachine/d$ is under / and I'm making a recursive backup that would never end?
    - what might I be doing wrong, or still need to do?

An error occured making / backup:
    Exception '' raised of class '': File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 302, in error_check_Main try: Main(arglist) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 322, in Main take_action(rps) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 278, in take_action elif action == "backup": Backup(rps[0], rps[1]) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 332, in Backup rpout.conn.fs_abilities.backup_set_globals(rpin) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line 699, in backup_set_globals dest_fsa = FSAbilities('destination').init_readwrite(Globals. rbdir) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line 144, in init_readwrite self.set_case_sensitive_readwrite(subdir) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line 260, in set_case_sensitive_readwrite assert not upper_a.lstat() Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 23, in rdiff_backup.Main.error_check_Main(sys.argv[1:]) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 302, in error_check_Main try: Main(arglist) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 322, in Main take_action(rps) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 278, in take_action elif action == "backup": Backup(rps[0], rps[1]) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 332, in Backup rpout.conn.fs_abilities.backup_set_globals(rpin) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line 699, in backup_set_globals dest_fsa = FSAbilities('destination').init_readwrite(Globals. rbdir) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line 144, in init_readwrite self.set_case_sensitive_readwrite(subdir) File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line 260, in set_case_sensitive_readwrite assert not upper_a.lstat() AssertionError

Re: Running keep (backup) to local windows computer gives /var/lib/python errors!

will it write to a local directory?

I wonder if it supports writing to a remote share at all.

Comment

Re: Running keep (backup) to local windows computer gives /var/lib/python errors

Can you expand / explain?

If I understand correctly, as far as it or anything else is concerned, it is a local file.

e.g. If I echo hello >//myserver/d/echo.txt, it should act as one expects.

No?

Comment

Re: Running keep (backup) to local windows computer gives /var/lib/python errors!

I am wondering if the program itself is capable of handling that. it may not understand what //myserver means as compared to /home/myfolder. You may want to try pointing Keep to where the share is actually physically mounted by smb4k in linux such as /home/<myhome>/smb4k/<some-dir>.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
          I am wondering if the program itself is capable of handling that. it may not understand what //myserver means as compared to /home/myfolder. You may want to try pointing Keep to where the share is actually physically mounted by smb4k in linux such as /home/<myhome>/smb4k/<some-dir>.
          BAH!

My mistake and my apologies.

Please read any reference to '//' in the path as '/'. Except for the share path.

i.e. echo hello >//myserver/d/echo.txt SHOULD HAVE BEEN echo hello >/myserver/d/echo.txt.

It is what I'm using on the machine, but, unfortunately, not what I have been using in this thread. My apologies.

Which is to say, I am using the physical mount point. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

no apologies needed

unfortunately, I don't know why it doesn't work

Comment

Working...
            X