Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I Watch BBC Video Streams? (SOLVED)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do I Watch BBC Video Streams?

The first time you try to play a BBC video it asks you if you want Windows Media Player or Real Player and Hi or Lo quality. You can change your preferences later by clicking on the preferences link in the upper right of the player window. As to swiftweasel http://sourceforge.net/projects/swiftweasel

Comment

I just checked out the Medibuntu site. It gives me hope that I can really get a fresh install of Kubuntu to do all the multimedia stuff! Funny that this website did not enter my forward consciousness months ago.

I will keep you all posted on my progress, and of course, advice is welcome!

Comment

Hi
        I found your post while searching on "video streams".

I have kubuntu gutsy 7.10, the 64 bit version.
        I have the w64codecs package from Medibuntu repository installed.
        I also have the flashplayer installed. I don't really know which repository that is in, but someone else here probably does.
        I use konqueror for browsing the web.

When I open up a bbc media player, such as is found on the news page. The popup window has a "preferences" link on the upper right. In this preferences dialogue, I select windows media (i have tested both high and low quality). After applying the preferences, I press the "play in standalone player" link.
        I then get a question from konqueror if I want to open this with kaffeine. I confirm, and voila there comes the video to me.

Hope this helps

Comment

heinkel_111 -

Followed your steps and it works! Kaffeine opens and plays the feed.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

@heinkel -- nice one! Yes, it works for me just as you say. Great catch -- thanks!

Comment

Heyyyyyyy, here's something ... in Firefox, I went to the BBC, clicked a news item, and changed the bullet to"Windows Media Player", and Xine played it! Hmmmmmm ... how the hell did I do that? I'm not sure what, if anything changed since the other day, except it never occurred to me to change it from Realplayer to Windows Media Player. So, I guess that's it -- install the xine plugin package, and then mark the popup window to "Windows Media Player", and away she goes! 8)

Comment

It's magic!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  It's magic!
                  If only...
                  For external use only.

Comment

Re: How do I Watch BBC Video Streams? (SOLVED)

SUCCESS!

I'm running a Pentium 4 Celeron 1.7 MHz (i386).

1. I did a clean install of Kubuntu Gutsy

2. Used Konqueror to download Swiftweasel (love the adblock!)

3. Went to Medibuntu and followed the directions to download all of the multimedia plugins that are of dubious legal status in many countries. I copied and pasted the supplied command lines into a terminal.

4. Still couldn't play DVDs or watch BBC video.

5. Used Adept to install Synaptic (because I'm used to it and in my experience it seems to have a better search function)

6. Used Synaptic to install mplayer plugin

7. Put some of my music in a folder and opened Amarok, which prompted me to install MP3 support. In those packages were codes needed for DVD playback and BBC video playback, too (I think)

8. Everything works now!

9. Linux is the BEST!

Comment

Originally posted by rogerduncan100
                      4. Still couldn't play DVDs or watch BBC video.
                      My How to: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine will ensure that commercial DVDs work in Kaffeine.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice!

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

UPDATE!

I've been reading the forum and have gathered that MPlayer is a relic and that Xine is far more up to date. My experience confirms this. MPlayer worked on BBC but after I played a few video streams from CBC it stopped working for BBC streams.

To solve this I uninstalled MPlayer and its Mozilla plugin and did install Xine and its Mozilla Plugin.

So far, so good. If Xine suddenly 'stops' you'll find out here!

Comment

STILL SOLVED

But Xine DID stop working! It happened when I used Synaptic, I think.

Synaptic seems to install packages that mess up KDE applications. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I did another clean install, this time using Adept. After starting Amarok I still couldn't play DVDs until I installed libdvdread3.

Everything works now (DVD, avi, BBC & CBC video streams)

How long will it last? A long time, I think.

Comment

I once thought I had made a discovery... If I installed an application then ran around the house, it would start the first time. However, as I made my calculations to see if running half way around the house would work as well, I discovered that the two had nothing to do with each other. Whether you install with adept or synaptic makes no difference. Just like there are folks who prefer konqueror over dolphin there are folks who prefer synaptic over adept. My simple rule of thumb is that if you can live with the app that came packaged with your distribution, use it. If you can't? Find a better one. What you are finding is that there is likely more than one way to skin a cat. Amarok has nothing to do with videos. It is an audio application. It is impossible for anyone, using adept or synaptic (or a ham sandwich) to play DVDs without installing libdvdread3 regardless of whether amarok is installed. It is hard enough without making it harder. Glad you got it sorted out.

Comment

Working...
                                X