Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I Watch BBC Video Streams? (SOLVED)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I Watch BBC Video Streams? (SOLVED)

Realplayer gives "jumpy" video. Fresh install of Kubuntu Gutsy will not play BBC using Xine or MPlayer with Konqueror browser. What I would like would be to use Xine embedded in Firefox and forget Realplayer, but alas, this is just a dream....

Re: How do I Watch BBC Video Streams?

Originally posted by rogerduncan100
    Fresh install of Kubuntu Gutsy...
    No guarantee, but if you follow my How to: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine to get commercial DVD playback, you may find that video from BBC works.

A fresh install of Gutsy results in the non-free codecs you probably need, not being installed.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I checked the BBC World News Service (TV) and it appears to be a Realplayer .smil stream -- a quick check of Mplayer and VLC do not indicate that they cannot play that stream. Looks like BBC is under the influence of the Evil Empire ... :P

Comment

Sorry to disappoint, but I tried your recipe to no avail. I can't even play DVD's besides BBC video is still jerky.

There MUST be a way to make this work! My previous install was Ubuntu 6.10 with KDE desktop environment added and updated to Gutsy. I was able to watch BBC using Xine. How do I get there from a fresh install of Kubuntu Gutsy?

I would rather not spend six hours doing what I did before since this time it might not work anyway. I would like to know what I am doing and be able to repeat it at will!

Comment

ooops -- I wrote "can" and meant "cannot" -- a "senior moment", sorry.

No, unless you run Win XP in a VMWare Player machine, or else install a PVR card and cable in a TV service, I don't think you'll be watching BBC on your Linux box.

Comment

Seems that my mplayer plugin for mozilla plays it fine. Post a link to something that you are not able to play.

Comment

Sorry to disappoint, but I tried your recipe to no avail. I can't even play DVD's besides BBC video is still jerky.
              First, loaded KMplayer and it wouldn't play any of the video feeds at http://news.bbc.co.uk/ either. So much for that. The steps I have in my post on getting commercial DVD playback does work - for Kaffeine.

Comment

OK, now I am on a different computer and it doesn't work. I played a clip of one of the comedy shows a few hours ago on my laptop. Since then, I upgraded a lot of ffmpeg related stuff and w32codecs from the medibuntu site. If it won't play now, that may mean the devs should look at the compile settings. We'll see tomorrow.

Comment

You followed my steps exactly? I've had other members, who upgraded to Gutsy, use my steps and reported success.

Comment

No, I did not follow your steps exactly as there were problems. Maybe I can make these steps work at some time later. Will they really help me watch video streams from the BBC website?

I installed mozilla mplayer plugin from synaptic. It launches as the stand-alone player, loads and then says "stopped". I press play and it loads again and stops.

If my former Ubuntu 6.10 with KDE added and updated to Gutsy could play BBC video then it MUST be possible to make it happen from a fresh install of Kubuntu. My objective is to try to keep my installation simple and therefore more stable.

Why didn't I stick with my former setup which worked so well you ask? After I used Devede to convert OGG files (Season 4, Simpsons) into mpeg files I couldn't watch BBC videos any more!

Comment

No, I did not follow your steps exactly as there were problems. Maybe I can make these steps work at some time later. Will they really help me watch video streams from the BBC website?
                      No. But they will ensure that you can play commercial DVDs in Kaffeine.

After I used Devede to convert OGG files (Season 4, Simpsons) into mpeg files I couldn't watch BBC videos any more!
                      I would be checking on what got changed when Devede was installed.

Comment

Yes, it was after I used Devede (which is dependent on MPlayer) that the problem arose. Until then, Xine was playing BBC video fine.

I just installed Mozilla Xine plugin. Xine opens as stanalone player and buffers to 18% and stops. It's 18% every time!

Comment

How would I check on what changed after I used Devede? Is there a way to do this?
                          (Not that I could, since I have since reinstalled)

Time for bed. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Comment

The preferences allow you to select WMP or Real. Mine plays with WMP and Real both High and Lo Quality. I am using mplayer and the mozilla plugin with swiftweasel. I will be glad to share anything else that may help others.

Comment

Hello again!

Please elaborate: Which preferences are you referring to? What is swiftweasle? Is it some kind of geeky plugin?

Comment

Working...
                              X