This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow reponse to/from trash

Any time I try and move a file to trash or empty the trash, it takes minutes. I get the progress dialog which is stuck at 0 and it hangs there forever. This is not new and I am not the only one who has reported it here and at the ubuntu forums. Any idea what can be done to fix this? Please don't suggest not using the trash. It serves a purpose and is on rare occasion useful. Thanks.

Re: Slow reponse to/from trash

Strange.

I've known the progress dialogs to break, while the file operations have actually taken place.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Yeah, I had that problem once, never solved it, it just disappeared after a reinstall (that I did for unrelated reasons).
      To avoid it though I started using the command line to delete files and it was able to do them with no problem. Just open konsole at the file location and type
      Code:
      rm -i filename

Comment

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...de/+bug/136551
        no other reports i can find

I do see this myself, but in my case, as I have 3 hard drives and multiple partitions, it takes a while as I can hear the drives spin up to be read, etc as I have the powersaving options enabled in my bios. In my case the slowness is not annoyingly long but I am sure it could be quicker

Comment

Originally posted by marshallbanana
          Yeah, I had that problem once, never solved it, it just disappeared after a reinstall (that I did for unrelated reasons).
          To avoid it though I started using the command line to delete files and it was able to do them with no problem. Just open konsole at the file location and type
          Code:
          rm -i filename
          I got it, or just press shift-delete. The issue is that this bypasses the trash and is unrecoverable. It is not supposed to work like that. I am on a pretty fresh install.

Comment

Originally posted by lingenfr
            I am on a pretty fresh install.
            Even so, ... Open a console shell and type:
            Code:
            df -h -T
            and copy/paste the results. This will give you a report on free disk space on all mounted file systems.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X