This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Windows is Better

So I tried to switch on a whim. Here is the reason why Linux will never be as good or as popular as Windows.

When you can't even burn .m4a files to an audio CD without converting them first, you are running an inferior system.
    I mean, that is like Computer Use 101 right there.
    Its like saying
    "QWERTY? What imbecile uses a QWERTY keyboard. Kubuntu supports Dvorak and Dvorak alone. Dont like it? Tough!"

Support for fringe formats like Ogg is fine, but .m4a, one of the most common formats isn't?

Thats just stupid.

Re: Why Windows is Better

The MP4/M4A format isn't really that widely used outside of Apple.

K3b doesn't support burning MP4/M4As?
    For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
      The MP4/M4A format isn't really that widely used outside of Apple.
      That may be true, but what with iTunes being the biggest online music seller in the world, and the apple iPod being the most common mp3 player, .m4a user's become a group that is large enough to not ignore. I mean, the average computer user has never even heard of ogg. You can't argue that more people use ogg than .m4a.

Well, I guess you could argue, you'd just be wrong...

K3b doesn't support burning MP4/M4As?
      Nope. And apparently nothing in Kubuntu does. Not even Nero Linux. KDE is .m4a racist.

I haven't tried it, but apparently it doesn't like .wma either. Another WIDELY USED format.

Comment

Originally posted by Frustrated

So I tried to switch on a whim.
        You need more of a reason than that -- there's way too much new information to learn, and learning is, uhhhhh, either "fun" or "hard", depending on your outlook and your motivation, I suppose.

Comment

You need more of a reason than that -- there's way too much new information to learn, and learning is, uhhhhh, either "fun" or "hard", depending on your outlook and your motivation, I suppose.
          I do want to learn. My problem is when trying to learn how to solve this problem, essentially all people will tell me is to stop using .m4a.

User question:
          "Kubuntu wont run on my laptop"
          Community response:
          "Buy a desktop."

Comment

Feel free to implement M4A support in K3b. Shouldn't be too hard, given an M4A library. Not much chance someone else is going to do it because one person wants them to.
            Short of that, I'd suggest transcoding your M4As or stop buying from iTMS.

Nothing in Linux can "just happen", like M4A support. Something has to change for it to work.

Any other complaints?
            For external use only.

Comment

There's too much that's true in Frustrated's post to ignore him or put him down. I just had a bad experience trying to install/configure samba for simple file sharing; it didn't work from the GUI and I did something which has partially disabled konqueror. Now I'm having to reinstall. How hard is it to enable file sharing in windows? How long has it been that easy? (Windows 95?)

I'm not going back to windows because of its problem with viruses and such, and because Micro$oft is so predatory, but sometimes Linux really is a pain. And it IS true that sometimes the answer you get to a question is similar to "Buy a desktop". That really is frustrating.

And Linux, specifically Kubuntu, CAN be made dummy-proof and convenient. Kubuntu (and every distro I've tried) can connect ITSELF to the internet; why not for file sharing or popular music formats?

Me, I'm not a programmer, just a user. OK, </rant>. Back to the command line. Sheeesh! :^>

In faith, Dave
              Viva Texas <><

Comment

I hardly think that the inability to run one particular format of music file is the single most important issue. Obviously it is important to you, but I would bet that in time it will be supported. And since you are just getting into Kubuntu, it may be possible that you are overlooking something.

I'm pretty new to this too, and as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out - but that is based on things like the inability to set up networking, configure WiFi, set up dual monitors properly, etc. I've got a 7.04 server working well (except that it cannot see anything on the network, but at least the Windows machines can see it), but 7.10 is so far unusable for networking.

I'm rooting for Kubuntu, but in the end I will use what works, and there is a limit of how many conf files I'm going to go track down and type arcane text strings into. v7.10 was a step forward in some areas, and back in others - no net gain.

Comment

I did some checking on google. I found this from 2005:

http://osdir.com/ml/kde.k3b/2005-09/msg00131.html

In summary:

I then decided to try an even older version of k3b so I installed 0.12.2-1 (from xcyb). This combination works. I can now add the files I want, and the length correct. I am now a happy camper.
                  As for the QWERTY comment... I don't understand?

Mike
                  http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frustrated
                    When you can't even burn .m4a files to an audio CD without converting them first, you are running an inferior system.
                    Who the hell uses M4A? MP3 beats the hell out of it, and is a lot more compatible.

Comment

I did some checking on google. I found this from 2005:

http://osdir.com/ml/kde.k3b/2005-09/msg00131.html
                      It that works, there will be a special surprise at the end of this thread...

Although in retrospect, if this does work, kudo K3b for breaking an existing implementation...

As for the QWERTY comment... I don't understand?
                      It was a comment on how all the hard core linux people who actually know how to fix things, rather than help fix it, berate you for not knowing, or using a product that is successfully implemented on majority of operating systems available. For an example of this elitist, condescending, completely irrational response see here:

Feel free to implement M4A support in K3b. Shouldn't be too hard, given an M4A library. Not much chance someone else is going to do it because one person wants them to.
                      Short of that, I'd suggest transcoding your M4As or stop buying from iTMS.

Nothing in Linux can "just happen", like M4A support. Something has to change for it to work.

Any other complaints?
                      This is precisely the elitist attitude that is the primary flaw in community driven support. This is also the exact type of response I already complained about in this post.

"Hi, .m4a doesn't work in KDE."
                      Reply:
                      "RAAAWRRR!!! YOU ARE AN IDIOT FOR SUPPORTING M$ an APPLE! STOP USING IT RAWR!! QUIT BITCHING AND DO IT YOURSELF!!!! BlARARAHAHRHRAH!H!H!!"

I hardly think that the inability to run one particular format of music file is the single most important issue. Obviously it is important to you, but I would bet that in time it will be supported. And since you are just getting into Kubuntu, it may be possible that you are overlooking something.
                      No it certainly isn't the SINGLE most important issue, but it not a small one either. Like I said, .m4a isn't some fringe format...

Who the hell uses M4A? MP3 beats the hell out of it, and is a lot more compatible.
                      I agree, but you can't always control the type of music you get en mass from friends etc...
                      Of course mp3 has more compatible, but its not like .m4a is new or rare.

Comment

Cross reference to this thread for info on burning m4a files in linux and also my thoughts on why they aren't much supported. Hope this helps.

Comment

KDE is .m4a racist.

I haven't tried it, but apparently it doesn't like .wma either. Another WIDELY USED format.
                          wma is supported, just have to install some extra packages (not included by default for legal reasons).

As for KDE being m4a racist, have you considered that perhaps it is apple that is linux racist (if they made itunes for linux you would have no problem, after all they do it for mac & windows)?

Oh, as for SheeEEttin's post it was a bit over the top but I imagine it was made in the heat of the moment, being annoyed that your first post on this forum was not asking us to try and help you solve your problems with m4a support but instead insulting the os that the users of this forum give freely of their time to support. Hope the above linked post about Lsong is enough to convince you to have another go with kubuntu.

Comment

Uh, m4a is mp4 folks.

Apple just likes the sound of an Apple extension.

Everybody take a deep breath now.

Comment

Uh... bwuh?

Yeah, it is, neither of them work apparently...

Hence the conversation?

Comment

Working...
                              X