This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation Woes

Installed Gutsy and stepped in something nasty...when I did an update, Adept errored out and couldn't install several upgrades...when I looked to see what was choking it, it got itself stuck and constantly thinks another version of itself is running.

To make it more interesting, I've gone into console and did the dpkg --configure -a and it returns:

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    Bus error (core dumped)
    dpkg: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 135

autoclean doesn't work, cuz it wants me to run the dpkg commands...

Any ideas?

Re: Installation Woes

Is this a brand new installation? A couple of thoughts, if that is the case ....

1. It sounds pretty hosed up -- maybe installing it again is actually the shortest path back to "happy".

2. If that is the case, then instead of using Adept Manager for that first (large) update after a new installation, may I recommend the command line, as in
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install
    The first update after you install the system is often a large one. In this case, impatience is your enemy -- I have seen that "99%" indicator sit for many minutes at a time (like 10 or more), before magically changing to "100%".

The reason I suggest the CLI is that you will get the verbose output on screen, and could potentially see the exact error, if it happens again.

HTH.

Comment

Re: Installation Woes

thanks, dibl...thought I might have to go that way. Rip it out and reinstall, coming up.

Comment

Working...
      X