This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amarok suddenly won't play ogg files

installed five updates this morning with adept, and now amarok won't play my ogg files. it will play mp3s still. i get a message saying there is no available decoder. help?

Re: amarok suddenly won't play ogg files

This happened to me too. (But amarok couldn't play anything at all) I removed libwavpack1 and surpisingly it uninstalled amarok. Then I reinstalled it, and now everything works. I don't know exactly what the problem was, and what solved it.

Comment

i just reinstalled amarok, and now it works again. my kind of solution

Comment

Hmm, I think the same problem is affecting KDE sound notifications... Whenever something calls an Ogg sound in /usr/share/sounds, it gives a horrible screeching sound. Wave files are fine. (This was so bad I had to copy the Wave of KDE_Beep_Connect.wav over to the Ogg. Works fine now.)

Anyone know if I should file a bug report, and if so, against what?
        For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by Trebor
          surpisingly it uninstalled amarok
          This is because adept is set up such that if you remove a package such as libwavpack1 then it will also remove anything that depends on it such as amarok. It does this because otherwise if it just removed libwavpack1 then amarok would no longer work, so it figures it may as well remove it too.

Comment

Dunno if anyone tried it, but like me I always have Amarok running.... updated yesterday and today I cannot play OGG's. Spent about 2 hours running around making sure I wasn't missing some library or there was something new that needed to be installed. Googled for this and that.... ended up I just needed to close and reopen Amarok. OGG's play fine now with ZERO changes.
            https://www.linuxcounter.net/user/267216

Comment

I had a similar problem on PcLinuxOS, amarok stopped playing anything for no reason. It didn't even coincide with any updates! Other programs could play sound.
              The computer in question since died, so that may be it. But I think there's something wrong with amarok at the moment.
              I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Originally posted by clickwir
                ended up I just needed to close and reopen Amarok.
                Adept Notifier 101. When Adept Notifier identifies upgrades to applications (read: programs), it is a very good practice to ensure that those identified applications are not running (read: quit them) before you tell Adept Notifier to apply the updates. Not all applications that are running handle being 'changed/modified' on-the-fly. You will save your self a lot of grief if you follow this advise.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  Originally posted by clickwir
                  ended up I just needed to close and reopen Amarok.
                  Adept Notifier 101. When Adept Notifier identifies upgrades to applications (read: programs), it is a very good practice to ensure that those identified applications are not running (read: quit them) before you tell Adept Notifier to apply the updates. Not all applications that are running handle being 'changed/modified' on-the-fly. You will save your self a lot of grief if you follow this advise.
                  I didn't know that. I have noticed problems, but nothing that restarting the app doesn't fix. Is anything likely to throw a major wobbly (ie wreck config files or its own binaries) if upgraded while it's running?
                  I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Umm... While not the best idea, nothing catastrophic should happen if you upgrade something while it's running. (However, for major upgrades, you should close open applications.)
                    For external use only.

Comment

SheeEttin - My comment is based on observed cries for help on the Forum, when users performed Updates/Upgrades with Adept Manager. While I agree with you that "nothing catastrophic should happen" (my emphasis on 'should'), I have seen the problems reported when Adept Manager itself is one of the applications being upgraded.

So, my advise, and that's all it is, is to close open programs that are identified as having updates by Adept. In the case where Adept Manager itself is being updated, I note the Adept packages, close Adept Manager, and run sudo apt-get install package from the CLI (having first run sudo apt-get install --simulate package to satisfy myself that there won't be any problems with the update(s) ). I've never had a problem following this simple procedure.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Right, "should" is one of those words...
                        I personally use Yakuake, so a console is always handy. I do most, if not all, of my package manipulation through apt-get.
                        For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                        X