This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

were is the temp files?

ok i download files alot! and well i noticed uninstalling the games or programs dosnt free up hd space... soo i come up that its not removeing or the files downloaded to install em arnt gone...
    and well i know alot of programs i download useing apt-get the install files arnt removed... for i know my internet aint that fast over 100mb in less than 2sec's is impossible were i live... soo were are the temparay folders and stuff...

Re: were is the temp files?

When you have questions about an application you should start with:
    Code:
    $ man nameofapplication
    To install stuff in Kubuntu you use apt-get even though you might only see a front-end like Adept or Synaptic.
    So to know more about apt-get you issue the command:
    Code:
    $ man apt-get
    When all that's too technical you can use google, good answers are here:
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap...pt-get.en.html
    (I do assume you know Ubuntu is Debian based)

A straight answer to your initial question would be in section 3.6:
    "Removing unused package files: apt-get clean and autoclean"

Success with man and google

Comment

A straight answer to your initial question would be in section 3.6:
      "Removing unused package files: apt-get clean and autoclean"
      Just in case you don't know how to use those commands (I didn't for a while at first), open a console (Konsole) and enter the following command:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoclean
      - the "&&" symbol simply combines multiple commands into one; essentially, you're running
      Code:
      sudo apt-get clean
      and
      Code:
      sudo apt-get autoclean
      Success with man and google
      That's the truth Learn to use them both, they will prove to be some of your most valuable allies.
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Eh, you might be interested in what those commands actually do...

"apt-get clean" removes all cached packages (packages that were saved during installation so you don't have to re-download them later). "apt-get autoclean" only removes the packages that you can't get any more (e.g. disabled repo, older package).

Perhaps you meant "apt-get autoremove"?
        For external use only.

Comment

thank you this kinda helped... now if i can only find were americas army puts its temp files...
          but yea this freed up over 1gig... and due to windows being main os it only allowed 10gigs for linux
          i am gona just buy a new hd and place it on there anyways thank you for all the help

Comment

Temp files? Dunno about that, but try ~/.armyops250 (View > Show hidden files, if necessary). Also try where you installed the game.
            For external use only.

Comment

Working...
            X