This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4 RC1...w00t

Yea cant wait to get my hands on this. Can someone confirm that all the packages are in that repo and nothing is broken? I want to be sure before i install anything.

I think its deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/tsimpson/ubuntu gutsy main
    Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--> # 15709

Re: KDE 4 RC1...w00t

I can't install it. I get an error concerning the package "kwin-kde4_4%3a3.96.0-1ubuntu2~gutsy2~ppa1_i386.deb". My error message is in Swedish but it essentially says it fails to unpack the kwin package: trying to overwrite "/usr/lib/kde4/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/kcmkwm.png". Hope that makes any sense. Anyone experiencing the same problem?

EDIT: Never mind, it resolved.

Comment

I followed the guide in the Kubuntu page and here is the error message I got:

Code:
      Setting up kdm-kde4 (4:3.96.0-1ubuntu2~gutsy2~ppa1) ...
      dpkg: error processing kdm-kde4 (--configure):
       subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
      Errors were encountered while processing:
       kdm-kde4
      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
      A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
       kdm-kde4

Comment

I just installed it according to the instructions and run it from kdm. Looks real nice. Not finished but nice.
        All packages were installed from synaptic, I got an error as well. Ignored it and continued. Put the lines
        * export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/lib
        * export KDEDIRS=/usr/lib/kde4
        * export PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/bin/:$PATH
        * export KDEHOME=~/.kde4
        just underneath the#bash in:
        /usr/lib/kde4/bin/startkde
        you have to open that with kate in root.

Easy peasy and very sweet
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by FalconP
          I followed the guide in the Kubuntu page and here is the error message I got:

Code:
           kdm-kde4
          E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
          A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
           kdm-kde4
          I got the same error at first. Then I uninstalled kdm-kde4, and installed again. This time I choose "kdm" as default instead of kdm4 (or what ever it was called, but you get two choices right?), when the installer asked me to chose the default.

Comment

Didn't manage to get that far myself. I followed the instructions and uninstalled kdelibs5. I then tried to install the three packges as shown in the instructions but just kept getting dependancy issues.

Gonna remove everything kde4 related (I've had the betas as well) and try again me thinks.

Comment

No luck here.

apt-get install kdebase-dev-kde4 kdebase-workspace-dev kdebase-runtime

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
              kdebase-dev-kde4: Depends: kdebase-kde4 (= 4:3.96.0-1ubuntu1~ppa1) but it is not going to be installed
              kdebase-runtime: Depends: kdebase-runtime-bin (>= 4:3.96.0-1ubuntu1~ppa1) but it is not going to be installed
              kdebase-workspace-dev: Depends: kdebase-workspace (= 4:3.96.0-1ubuntu2~gutsy2~ppa1) but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: libplasma1 (= 4:3.96.0-1ubuntu2~gutsy2~ppa1) but it is not going to be installed

E: Broken packages

Comment

Sorted it... Just make sure you uninstall all things kde4 related before beginning the process. It should work then.

If you use Adept, search for 'kde4' and make sure nothing in that list is installed and do the same for 'workspace', then it should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                  I just installed it according to the instructions and run it from kdm. Looks real nice. Not finished but nice.
                  All packages were installed from synaptic, I got an error as well. Ignored it and continued. Put the lines
                  * export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/lib
                  * export KDEDIRS=/usr/lib/kde4
                  * export PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/bin/:$PATH
                  * export KDEHOME=~/.kde4
                  just underneath the#bash in:
                  /usr/lib/kde4/bin/startkde
                  you have to open that with kate in root.

Easy peasy and very sweet
                  I have done the same thing, but I always (and always have for the last several beta's) get a window that says could not start kstartupconfig4. Has anyone else had this? I can't find any references to it anywhere. It seems like I am the only person on the planet that gets this error.

Comment

so, looking through the repository, there seems to be a bunch of duplicate packages, with different names (i.e. kde4games and kdegames-kde4). is there a list of which packages should NOT be installed, and which ones should? the last thing I want is a bunch of broken packages.

Comment

Originally posted by themusicalguy
                      Sorted it... Just make sure you uninstall all things kde4 related before beginning the process. It should work then.

If you use Adept, search for 'kde4' and make sure nothing in that list is installed and do the same for 'workspace', then it should work.
                      I can confirm this! You can check your installation by
                      dpkg --get-selections "package pattern"

In contrast to the description on:
                      http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde4-rc1.php
                      I haven't installed kdm-kde4 but followed the description on
                      http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde4-beta3.php

It still works fine!

Comment

is it "safe" to use the http://ppa.launchpad.net/tsimpson/ubuntu repo on hardy? cuz most of the kde4 packages available in the (kubuntu) hardy repo are outdated. (i know that kubuntu & ubuntu use the same repo).
                        there are two reasons i ask. one is obvious: cuz these are two different versions of the distro. the other reason is cuz the http://ppa.launchpad.net/tsimpson/ubuntu repo doesn't have hardy "support".
                        <br />

Comment

Originally posted by jackuess
                          I got the same error at first. Then I uninstalled kdm-kde4, and installed again. This time I choose "kdm" as default instead of kdm4 (or what ever it was called, but you get two choices right?), when the installer asked me to chose the default.
                          Yes kdm-kde4 installed, but then how do I start kde4? There doesn't appear to be an option screen when I restart X

Comment

Originally posted by FalconP
                            Originally posted by jackuess
                            Yes kdm-kde4 installed, but then how do I start kde4? There doesn't appear to be an option screen when I restart X
                            did you follow fintan's instructions here?:
                            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...1436#msg101436

they're the same instructions on the kubuntu kde4 rc1 release page.
                            <br />

Comment

Originally posted by disturbedite
                              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3088912.msg101436#msg101436[/url]

they're the same instructions on the kubuntu kde4 rc1 release page.
                              Yes I did, but still I got KDE3.5

Comment

Working...
                              X