X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Else Tried KDE 4.0 Beta?

Hi Everyone,
    I got into the excitement about KDE 4.0 -- I've read about it in Linux magazines, and seen lots of references to it in online forums. So I was very happy to read about a KDE 4 live CD available through SUSE (http://home.kde.org/~binner/kde-four-live/).

There are some things I like about it. But I'm disappointed with some parts. For example, the navigation through the K menu seems overly complicated.

Of course, this is only a beta, and I am still in awe of what terrific work the KDE team has done. But I'm just wondering what people here think of the KDE status.

Matt

Re: Anyone Else Tried KDE 4.0 Beta?

Currently, KDE 4 is very much beta. I wouldn't even install it on a testing system.
    I'd suggest you keep away from it unless you're doing in-depth testing.

I personally have not installed it. I got the same LiveCD and ran it through VMware, and it didn't work. Loaded the desktop and Kicker (I assume it's Kicker), but Kicker displayed two little messages (something about not loading objects) and I was unable to do anything at all.

I don't foresee a final release for quite some time.
    For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
      Currently, KDE 4 is very much beta. I wouldn't even install it on a testing system.
      I'd suggest you keep away from it unless you're doing in-depth testing.
      I've just played with the live CD. I just recently got Kubuntu running along nicely, so I'm not about to mess it up by installing a beta of KDE 4! But like all of us, I am curious. The live CD seems like a safe way to take a peek.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewSchenker
        The live CD seems like a safe way to take a peek.
        Yes. Take a peek. But as SheeEttin stated, " KDE 4 is very much beta. I wouldn't even install it on a testing system." I won't load a BETA release on my stable system either. I'll patiently wait for any official release of any package.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the link! I've been curious about KDE 4 as well, but as others have noted I don't have any notion to go about installing it on one of my regular machines.

There are some things I like about it. But I'm disappointed with some parts. For example, the navigation through the K menu seems overly complicated.
          I agree, the K menu seemed a tad hard to work with when I played around with it in a virtual machine. Reminded me a bit of the way the default start menu works in Windows XP (which I admit I don't like).
          Kubuntu user since initial release version 5.04 8)

Comment

Keep in mind, also, that the link is to a KDE 4.0 from/for SUSE, not *ubuntu.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I installed the beta3 from the repositories(!) and ran it as suggested here:
              http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde4-beta3.php
              I can't say it got me exited and wishing for a finished product.

Comment

You could always try the debian live KDE 4 CD here:
                http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde4livecd.html

It is pretty neat but as already mentioned vey beta.
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I tried the beta 4 package and it wasnt too bad. The main things i dont like are that if Kubuntu uses that new Kmenu (like the one in Suse) ,IM SWTCHING TO GNOME and that applet or plasmoid replacing kickoff. Its not very configurable. In fact you cant configure it(yet). They should just use old kickoff.Everything else is sweet,especially Dolphin and Konqueror. Me like very much, konqueror that is.
                  Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--> # 15709

Comment

Like everyone here, I'm waiting. I'm very curious, but really don't have a suitable "test" machine. Just waiting. Excited! But waiting.

Comment

Hmm, I've been thinking of trying this out for ages now. I have a spare 3.3gb partition sitting idle so I'm thinking of installing another copy of kubuntu to it and using adept to download the kde4 packages. Has anyone done this? I have two main questions on it. How much space did it take? and exactly which packages should I be downloading?

Comment

Originally posted by marshallbanana

I have a spare 3.3gb partition sitting idle so I'm thinking of installing another copy of kubuntu to it
                        My pretty-standard Gutsy installation is presently sitting at 3.6GB, less "/home" which has its own partition. So you're pushing it there ..... :P

Comment

My standard one (also with seperate /home) is only 2.6gb so you've obviously added something (figured 600mb may just be enough, plus I can always remove open office).

Comment

Originally posted by marshallbanana

plus I can always remove open office).
                            Which reminds me, is your OO strange-looking and buggy, in Gutsy? My menus are all text (no icons/symbols), and the slide show crashed the first time I fed it a PowerPoint file. Yesterday the Writer popped open in full-screen mode, and then wouldn't close -- wouldn't even hold the "File" menu open long enough to let me choose "Quit". I had to close it from the kicker panel. I'm thinking of removing and reinstalling, just to see if something went wrong with it when I installed Gutsy. :P

Comment

Personally I just use google docs nowadays (unless I need to do something substantial with databases when I turn back to OO), best part is I can wipe the hd and not have to bother backing all my docs up.
                              Just opened up writer to check for you and all my menus have the icons/symbols so something has obviously gone wrong with your install.

Comment

Working...
                              X