This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Restore KDE/KDM after Compiz failure

I should have known better, but I tried to install Compiz on my machine. It was ridiculously slow and hosed, so I decided to remove it. I uninstalled all the compiz and related packages. I ran the kwin command that I found here, but still no joy. I had been running the AMD version of the ati driver and had everything (including 3D acceleration). I went back through the installation procedures. KDE would not start. It just stayed at the login screen background. Based on the results of running startx from the command line, it appears that the video driver is OK. I assume that the problem is with a startup configuration file for KDE, but I thought that I would check before I hosed things worse. Thanks.

Re: Restore KDE/KDM after Compiz failure

I was going to tell you to check your inittab file, but i can't find mine. Why don't you sudo apt-get -reinstall kmd or sudo dpkg -configure kdm or sudo apt-get install gdm and use it as your deaylt xmanager...

I hope you find your solution

Comment

The reason I decided to get rid of Compiz was that when I logged in I was greeted with a flashing screen cut diagonally from lower left to upper right with the top half flashing black and the lower half flashing blue. This would last for a few seconds and then go on with a somewhat normal boot. However, when I got to a desktop, it was so ridiculously slow that it was nearly unusable. So, I used a combination of adept and cli to get rid of everything compiz-related.

In order to get back in, I went through the steps again to install the AMD ATI driver 8.42.3. After a couple of tries, I was able to get back in, but it was still so slow as to be useless. I switched to vesa and it is slow but workable. I tried ati and I get similar results to the fglrx built from the AMD driver.

I am not sure what to do. At this point, I would like to just get back to running fglrx either from the repository or from AMD and get DRI back.

Help.

Comment

Make sure you're not using Xgl (i.e. uninstall the "xserver-xgl" package).
        For external use only.

Comment

That was it XGL was mentioned in the how-to, but not with enough specifics to point me in the right direction. My plan b was to load ubuntu and throw my kubuntu media out the window. I was a few keyclicks away, so you saved me some work. I may still give ubuntu a shot as I am having some other difficulties (smartcard/pki login to citrix) that seem to work in ubuntu and I can get them to work for me. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X