This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Firefox and java

First,my java installation is a mess. I use JAlbum, which wants java and couldn't find it. So I installed java (jre1.6.0_03) in /usr/local.

First mystery: File completion doesn't work. I can cd to /usr/local, where there is only one file (a directory) starting with jrel, yet if I type "ls jrel" and then tab, it does not complete the name. It does with other files an directories. What in the world is happening here?

In any case, JAlbum uses this (by config) and is happy.

Second mystery: If, however, I type in java -version, I get

$ java -version
    java version "1.5.0"
    gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.2.1 (Ubuntu 4.2.1-5ubuntu5)

Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
    warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

which is apparently the java installed by Gutsy in /usr/bin/java, which is a linke to /etc/alternatives/java, which is in turn a link to /usr/bin/gij-4.2, which is a file whose name is NOT java. Say what?

3rd mystery: Then I go to

http://java.com/en/download/installe...tect=jre&try=1

where Firefox takes me to test if I have java on my computer and it doesn't find either of the bloody programs. What h**l is going on here?

As you can see, I am this time totally confused and frustrated. Apparently, I need much help.

Thank in advance for your suggestions.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Problem with Firefox and java

Your Java installation has been corrupted, there are two ways to rectify it.

1)Best option is install directly from firefox visit https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7 you will find the necessary links to directly download and install via firefox

2)Install fresh official java jre 1.6.3 from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/?intcmp=1281

Comment

For the file completion issues, I suspect you are confusing number 1 with letter l
      I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Originally posted by cantab
        For the file completion issues, I suspect you are confusing number 1 with letter l
        RIght you are. Thank you.
        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X