Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AIGLX seems to work but Compiz does not...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AIGLX seems to work but Compiz does not...

I've scoured these forums for days and I have not been able to find a thread on this particular issue so I am going to make a new thread about it.

First off I am using a Sapphire X1600 Pro (AGP), 256MB Edition.

I have found numerous threads in the Ubuntu and Kubuntu forums that tell how to enable AIGLX with the 8.42.3 drivers. Yes, I got those drivers to work decently.

All I did achieve indirection rendering was add "fglrx" to the WHITELISTED line in the /usr/bin/compiz file.

However when I download and attempt to enable compiz with: compiz --replace, I get the following error (Output is shown in image below).

[img width=400 height=320]http://www.e-faction.com/Compiz_Error.jpg[/img]

It seems that Compiz is picking up AIGLX hence the detection of Indirect Rendering but Compiz will not pick up a window manager. I have installed Emerald and the themes do not work.

I can usually find and work out these problems but, this time I just don't know what's wrong.

Thanks

-CW55

Re: AIGLX seems to work but Compiz does not...

Check out this article. If you're interested in more, you can find Envy here.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I realize how you are trying to help me however that is not what I am looking for.

As I stated before, I added fglrx to the WHITELIST in the compiz file.

That is basically what Envy is doing.

My problem is with the window manager. For some reason it won't load the correct window manager.

I have no idea what the problem is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-CW55

Comment

You do have Emerald installed don't you?

If you do, load Compiz with the command "compiz" (forget about --replace, you don't need it in Gutsy), and if it doesn't load Emerald too, run "emerald".

Edit: Checkout Compiz' documentation on ATI cards.

Edit: I have an Nvidia card, so I can't experiment to help you much, but if nothing will work, you may need to install the xserver-xgl package; it may - and probably will - turn off any direct rendering you have, but will allow Compiz to run (you just won't be able to play any games or the like).
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I'd rather not go the xserver-xgl route as I know XGL causes slow scrolling and various other slow downs on my system.

On another note, I have emerald installed and whenever I load the emerald-theme-manager, the program does not work. It won't replace any of the borders like it should when I select a theme.

Also, at the time of this message, http://www.compiz.org seems to be down as I am unable to access the site.

-CW55

Comment

Working...
          X