Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locale vs. Language woes (apps ignoring locale)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locale vs. Language woes (apps ignoring locale)

Hi. I'm having problems with some apps (Opera, BOINCmgr, KSystemLog), that either ignore KDE's set locale or read the locale info somewhere else and think my system is set to english locale.

It started like this - I wanted to use Slovak locale (24 hr time format, etc...), but during the system installation I noticed that changing the 'locale' also changed the language. Without getting into details (Slovak translations in general are inconsistent, the search is rendered useless by grammar cases), I decided to just install the English version and subsequently change the locale. I did this, the clock and locale settings dialog displayed correctly.

However, other programs keep displaying time in 12 hr format. Not just 3rd party apps (BOINCmgr, Opera), but also KDE apps (KSystemLog)!

Is there another place where these programs check for system locale? How do I change this?

If it matters, I have US-english and Slovak(qwerty) keyboard layouts installed, english being the default.
    Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Re: Locale vs. Language woes (apps ignoring locale)

Do you have anything in your ~/.kde/share/locale folder?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Locale vs. Language woes (apps ignoring locale)

nope, nothing...

Also, I found about this command "locale", which yields the following:
      Code:
      $ locale
      LANG=en_US.UTF-8
      LANGUAGE=en_US:en
      LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
      LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
      LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
      LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
      LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
      LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
      LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
      LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
      LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
      LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
      LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
      LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
      LC_ALL=
      Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

Working...
      X