This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] kstars balks on pl2303 serial cable

There is some fundamental breakage between feisty and gutsy, let me explain:

I use kstars to control my telescope. This uses the Meade standard cable set, which includes a pl2303 USB->serial adapter.

If I boot feisty, kstars will drive the telescope just fine using the pl2303. 8)

If I boot gutsy, kstars will read firmware data from the Meade Autostar handset and get basic firmware data, but it will not slew the telescope or send other commands to the telescope.

I have a symlink /dev/telescope I set up in my udev rules, this is correct each time, it points happily to what ever /dev/ttyUSB... the pl2303 driver has made the actual pl2303 serial adapter. Permissions and groups are fine (if not how could kstars read the firmware data anyway). i.e. I am a member of dialout, and dialout has rw on the relevant ttyUSB... device.

Log files reveal nothing abnormal unless kstars is doing some logging that I don't know about.

More specifically, here is a list of what can and can't be done with kstars under gutsy with the pl2303 USB->serial adapter:

1. Start lx90 service from device manager. Device manager log looks normal.
    2. Goto the star chart, right click, select lx90/connect - does not connect.
    3. Goto the INDI control panel, click on connect, connects, reads back firmware, site, etc.
    4. Goto the star chart, right click, lx90 shows as connected now. Issue commands to slew, sync, etc. Nothing happens.
    5. Select centre and track crosshair, nothing happens, manually instruct kstars to centre the object the telescope is pointed at, voila, there are the crosshairs.

In case anyone is speed reading this post, let me emphasise again that if I run kstars under feisty, everything works fine.

Are there any known issues? Is this a problem with the pl2303 driver, or kstars?

Thanks.

UPDATE: I tried an older pl2303 driver (2.16.20.16) with my 2.16.22.14 current kernel, no difference, behaviour is still broken. I have also tried renaming my kstarsrc and setting up from scratch, and a complete reinstall of kstars with no success.

Re: kstars balks on pl2303 serial cable

This is a known bug fixed with the following patch (the patch is located by going to the bug report in the link below) details:

------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
    You reported the bug, or are watching the reporter.

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=152453
    mutlaqja ikarustech com changed:

What |Removed |Added
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Status|UNCONFIRMED |RESOLVED
    Resolution| |FIXED

------- Additional Comments From mutlaqja ikarustech com 2007-11-20 07:43 -------
    Please save the attachment below as kstars.patch, and copy it to kdeedu/kstars/kstars/, then using konsole, go to kdeedu/kstars/kstars and type:

patch -p0 < kstars.patch

Then make then make install, and the problem should be fixed!

Comment

And did it fix it for you?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have downloaded the patch, downloaded the source, installed kdevelop (kstars has a kdevelop project), then tried the given instructions just before bed last night. I did a ./configure and it complained I'm missing bits, so I gave up last night with the intention of having another crack over the weekend.

In the meantime if someone else is keen to do the patch... let me know I can certainly test a binary for anyone whose development environment is already fully set up, otherwise it is going to depend on how difficult it is to get it building this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by sleepless.knight
          I did a ./configure and it complained I'm missing bits, so I gave up last night with the intention of having another crack over the weekend.
          Why? Looked at the patch instructions, and it says to just run make and make install.

Comment

Unless all the different Makefiles are in the right places, just "make; make install" isn't going to work.
            Lemme see if it works here (and if not, what you need).

EDIT: Compiling fine so far... I did the ./configure in kdeedu-3.5.8, then moved to kstars and did "make".
            A readme says it needs these packages: XFree86(-devel) libqt2(-devel) kdelibs(-devel) libpng(-devel) libjpeg(-devel) fam(-devel) zlib(-devel) arts(-devel) libart_lgpl(-devel)

EDIT 2: Compile libkdeedu first, KStars requires it.
            Other than that small hitch, it compiled fine for me...
            For external use only.

Comment

So much for 'following the instructions.' :P Thanks for testing, verifying, and reporting the results. I'm sure sleepless.knight will appreciate it.

Comment

Guys, got my development environment up and running today (Saturday) as I said I would. ./configure to get the make files, etc., then make and make install - finally doing as I'm told - just tested the patch with my telescope and we have full connectivity once more. Telescope is now obeying the commands I select in kstars once more.

So now I have everything working again... it is cloudy outside and looks set to stay that way... guess that's what I get for living in the UK.

Comment

Working...
                X