Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Basic zip Installation Instructions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Basic zip Installation Instructions?

Hi Everyone,
    I'm still getting comfortable installing software in the command line. There are some applications out there that are only available through command-line installation, so maybe it's time to get over my fear!

Can someone give me a set of simple instructions for zip installations from the command line? Or does it change depending on the application you're installing?

I'm trying to install Java SMF Backup -- a utility for backing up the database of an online forum. I own and manage a Woodworking forum (www.festoolownersgroup.com), which uses the same software you see here in the Kubuntu forum.

Perhaps the owners of this forum use Java SMF backup? If so, can you tell me how you installed it?

Here's a link to the page for Java SMF Backup (look near the bottom of the page): http://www.simplemachines.org/download/?tools

Matthew

Re: Most Basic zip Installation Instructions?

It's got instructions in javasmfbackup/compile.txt.
    They don't appear to be too hard to follow...
    For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
      It's got instructions in javasmfbackup/compile.txt.
      They don't appear to be too hard to follow...
      Maybe for you! For someone like me, I'm lost by the second line.

Just to make sure, let me confirm that these are the instructions we're talking about:
      If you want to compile this project, you need to have:

a) JDK 1.5.0 (at least).
      b) Ant
      c) Launch4j 2.1.5
      d) NSIS 2.09 or better

Compile steps:

1) Configure your environment

- modify setenv.bat to match your setup. It sets the JAVA_HOME as well as the path to the Ant. Unless you have all these already defined in the system, you have to execute it in the same command prompt where you will run ant.

- On Windows it is possible to generate an executable file which would start the project. For this you need to have Launch4j installed. You then have to modify the build.xml file's "launch4j.dir" property to point to the correct launch4j installation path. Default value is "C:\Program Files\Launch4j" (which is where Launch4j wanted to install itself anyway).

2) Compile

- to compile the project, you have to open a command prompt and execute ant. Please remember to run setenv.bat once after opening the command prompt. The default ant task will generate the SMFBackup.jar file in the dist/ directory.

- to generate the SMFBackup.exe file, you have to issue "ant windows" at the command prompt. It will produce the output file in the current directory (from where ant is ran)

- "ant windows" also generates the installation file for JavaSMFBackup (used as installer on Windows). It uses NSIS and NSIS Ant Task. The build.xml file will run the nsis task automatically but you have to update the property "nsis.dir" to point to the exact installation of NSIS. Default is C:\Program Files\NSIS. If ran from ant, the nsi script will generate the install file in the installers/ directory. If compiled by hand, it will output the file in the root of the project.

Comment

The second line is blank.

(Just messing around.)
        If you mean the JDK, you should install the "sun-java6-jdk" package.
        If you mean "modify setenv.bat...", then open up setenv.bat (e.g. with Kate) and see what needs to be changed.
        For external use only.

Comment

This compile.txt is by the looks of .bat and .exe files purely for a Windows system.

Comment

Yup.

Simple Machines Community Forum is a forum that MatthewSchenker should go onto and inquire on this application. It is the forum that the author sends you to for questions.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              Simple Machines Community Forum is a forum that MatthewSchenker should go onto and inquire on this application. It is the forum that the author sends you to for questions.
              Yes, I post over there all the time, and they are a great group -- very friendly. Kind of like this forum! I just thought I'd see if people here had some advice.

Anyway, I'm going to look for another way to back up my forum.

Any suggestions?

Matt

Comment

Working...
              X