This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz fusion without Nvidia?

Hello, I would like to install Compiz-fusion on my toshiba laptop with a pretty weak onboard intel graphics card. Is this possible? I've managed to get it installed but when i try to run compiz i get an error message telling me i do not have the Nvidia driver installed. Compiz will run like this but it is painfully slow. I can give more details later including the actual error message when i have access to my laptop.

Re: Compiz fusion without Nvidia?

You'll first need to install (and use) the proper driver for your "card". I believe the driver you want is i810, but I'm not sure.
    Anyway, if you've got it installed, back up /etc/X11/xorg.conf and execute "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", choosing the i810 driver.

After that, I'd edit the driver whitelist so that it accepts the i810 driver, but I don't know where the whitelist is...
    So, "export SKIP_CHECKS=yes; compiz --replace" will start Compiz while ignoring normally bad situations.

You probably won't get too much prettiness, so I'd recommend turning off things like shadows, maybe reduce the animations, etc.
    For external use only.

Comment

Re: Compiz fusion without Nvidia?

I have a Satellite SA40-211 with the i810 graphics card, I believe it has 64MB of memory.
      When I look at the driver details in K Menu/System and Settings/Monitor it says this is a 85x card with the i810 driver.

Compiz works quite all right on this set up.

When you are sure you have an Intel card but the software complains about a missing NVidia driver there is a problem with the set up.

Running from a terminal:
      $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
      will give you the option to either manually or automatically set up the graphics drivers.
      See what you get in the automatic mode, when you don't like it you run it again but now in maual mode.

Comment

Working...
      X