This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox & Thunderbird look strange after upgrade

I recently upgraded both my laptop and desktop from feisty to gutsy. The upgrade on the laptop worked absolutely perfectly, the desktop was a bit more difficult. (I think it was this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/147429).

Anyway after getting the desktop computer working properly I noticed Firefox and Thunderbird looked a bit weird, and comparing them to the laptop there is quite a big difference but I can't work out why.

I am using Firefox 2.0.0.8 on both computers, both installed exactly the same way with apt-get. Both versions are using the default Firefox theme and the theme in KDE is pretty much the same on both.

In particular the scroll bars, selected items on toolbars and the toolbars themselves are different - I have attached two screenshots to illustrate.

The toolbars in Firefox on the desktop have thick black lines between them, while the laptop has none.

On the laptop the scroll bars are the same style in Firefox and Konqueror (which is in the background in both screenshots), while on the desktop they are completely different.

I hovered the mouse over the google button on the toolbar while taking screenshots - on the laptop the surround is rounded, while it is square on the desktop.

I have tried removing and reinstalling firefox, as well as logging in as a new user but the problem still occurs.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to try next?

(Note anti-aliasing and font settings are different on both but this is deliberate)
    Attached Files

Re: Firefox & Thunderbird look strange after upgrade

Yeah, I think I know what that is.
    But first, how did you install Firefox? From getfirefox.com or through Adept? If you didn't use Adept, I'd uninstall the version you have and install it through Adept. Many benefits, probably including the fix of this problem.

If you did use Adept, try K Menu > System Settings > Appearance > GTK Styles & Fonts. Play with the GTK styles options. (I have "Use my KDE style in GTK applications" selected, and Firefox looks fine.)
    For external use only.

Comment

Thanks for narrowing that down for me. I have just checked and while the 'GTK styles and fonts' option shows up on my laptop and is configured to use KDE styles it is nowhere to be found on my desktop - it must have disappeared after the upgrade. Now I just have to work out how to get it back... (p.s. I am using Firefox from the Ubuntu repositories, updated with Adept)

Comment

Update: Fixed with "sudo apt-get install gtk-qt-engine"

Comment

Working...
        X