This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grub Loading error!!!!

thank u Qqmike, i am really thankfull for ur work.

ya i will follow the advice (repartitioning) u had given. but i would re- partition my system after a few days as i am havin exams now. i will do a fresh install (as per ur advice) and again i'll post the result here(but only after few days, as u could understand my problem). again i am really thankful for ur concern.

Comment

i am sorry guys. i posted this question here by mistake as it should be in the boot section.

Comment

I just fixed a similar problem; I fixed it using the Alt. CD, deleting the contents of my /boot/grub directory (sudo rm /boot/grub/*), and using the commands "sudo update-grub" and "sudo grub-install hd0" (my /boot partition is on my sda1 partition). It took a few times, for some reason it didn't want to work my first try, but I got it running. You know what they say, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again . . ."

Edit: Unfortunately, I didn't read Qqmike's How To carefully enough before this instance; I had to learn everything at the School of Hard Knocks. Your guide is definitely a work of art Qqmike.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Hi guys.

srikar:
          Thanks for the feedback srikar--and I agree totally with you about not messing with your system right now if you have exams. When you first turn on the PC (or re-boot it), do you get a GRUB menu.lst showing Windows and Kubuntu?

integr8e:
          Thanks for the nice comments. For now, if you guys don't mind humoring me here, imho, it's probably best if srikar does not get into the Linux grub shell with the grub-install commands. That's a bit more advanced, it does have some nuances, I try to avoid it, and the setup command is a front-end for it.

Now, you did bring up a good point when you said, "It took a few times, for some reason it didn't want to work my first try, but I got it running. You know what they say, 'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again . . .'"

srikar--you can try the root-setup-quit dance again (and again) if you wish, a couple times to see if you will have the same good experience that integr8e had. After each time, re-boot to test it.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Something I forgot to mention before, if you have /boot partition separate from your "/" (/root) partition, you have to mount it before you can work on it.
            Asus G1S-X3:
            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

For a true, separate /boot partition:
              Yes, so he’d have to also get it mounted in fstab.
              And, if it’s a true separate /boot (w/kernel & initrd), he’d have to edit the right #groot=(hdx,y) statement.

However, again, let’s try to keep it easy, for now. Sounds like he will try to move the whole OS into another partition, re-arrange the disk. When srikar then installs Kubuntu new, again, GRUB will be put in the MBR by the installer and all will be well & set up. We hope. Look at us. The guy's studying for exams, and here we are, talking behind his back. (Sure is easy philosophizing about * someone else's * system.)
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Bitten by Grub 18 error!!!!

I re installed the grub to MBR as per Qqmike. Even i faced the error.

i dual boot winxp and kubuntu.

The linux was on last drive and win on the first drive.

So the last advice of re-partioning the whole pc and putting linux some where in the middle drive dint work, i mean i've done a fresh install of linux next to windows drive. Still the grub 18 error comes frequently.

I am really fedup of this.And for every 10 restarts , grub error comes 8 times approximately.
                And wid this error comin frequently i am restarting my pc quite often, and i am scared some thing goes wrong.

Comment

Re: Bitten by Grub 18 error!!!! : (

srikar,

unfortunately all I can tell you from the GRUB errors I've ever received related to three things. 1) GRUB didn't install properly - experienced that when I first switch to Kubuntu - fixed by reinstalling GRUB from Recovery Mode. 2) The GRUB entries directing to where to boot from was wrong - fixed by manually editing the menu.lst file. This one occurs on one of my machines each time there is a kernel update. Never figured that one out, never bothered to look, didn't irritate me that much. Hmmm, go figure. 3) My hard Drive failed. That one bothered me! These are the only GRUB errors I've ever received. What error message that was, I've long since forgot. Sorry I couldn't have been more help. Keep at it though. As aggravating as it is, you'll find the problem and be able to help someone latter.

Comment

Well, I don’t know either. I’m concerned d that you do not get this error every time – sometimes you get the error, sometimes you don’t. Not a good sign. That is, it suggests something is buggy with hardware and/or BIOS. GRUB is not a stochastic program; that is, GRUB follows the same rules each time, and either it works or it doesn’t. GRUB does get some of its information from BIOS at boot time. Before you give up, I would read herman’s site very carefully and all the links on it; herman has already done much research on this for us. He mentions the 137 BG limit, but you have ruled that out. And you have re-installed GRUB. Super Grub Disk can also re-install GRUB for you. Herman also mentions some other esoteric possibilities and gives you the links. I have not read those links, but if I had your problem, I certainly would. Even if they might not apply exactly, they may refer to something that will trigger some good ideas to try.

Comment

I would download Super Grub Disk. Burn it to CD.
                      First, see if it will boot your Kubuntu without any problems
                      Then, have it re-install your GRUB for you.
                      That would provide two more data points.

Super Grub Disk: http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

Comment

thnks 4 ur suggestion, finally i would try that.

Comment

Thanku Qqmike. When i get the grub error i just put put my usb stick (super grub disk installed in it) and boot 4m it. I think Super grub disk is the final solution if all the other methods dont work .And to tell u people , Super grub disk is easy to handle and its userfriendly.

Comment

Re: Bitten by Grub 18 error!!!! solved : )

Good, srikar! That’s a good, valid solution. And you can experiment with SGD and find the best/fastest options to use. It’ll boot Windows, too, as you know. Cool that you got it on a flash drive. I can’t remember if I mentioned my How-To on that? How To Make GRUB (or SGD) Thumb Drive
                            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081748.0
                            Scroll down through all that, and you’ll see another of my posts on putting GRUB, SGD, GParted, and Puppy on the same flash drive (took only about half of a 512 MB Memorex flash drive to do all that). If you use any of that, please post any questions/issues back here in the forum under booting, but then, it doesn’t look like you need any How-to’s on using your flash drive!
                            Good work. Carry on

Comment

Re: Bitten by Grub 18 error!!!! solved : )

thnQ, and SGDisk rocks. It has many options like u can even chose a fixed OS to boot wen u switch on ur pc and many more (i hav to experiment many options available in it).

Comment

Working...
                              X