This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Configure kwin new window placement?

Is there a way to configure KDE to place new windows somewhere other than either the top-left or centre of the screen?

I've just got TwinView working, which is great, except that every new window has to be moved before I can use it. Either the window appear smack in between the two monitors, so it's broken over the two of them, or it appears in the top-left, which, due to resolution differences between the monitors, I can't grab the titlebar.

The Window Behavior settings in System Settings don't seem to have anything that will do the trick.

Re: Configure kwin new window placement?

Try right clicking on the titlebar->advanced and you can choose specific behavior
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks, yeah, I've had a look at that. But I'd like this to work the same for *every* window, and not have to configure each app separately.

Basically, the left handside of my TwinView setup is a widescreen laptop, which 224 pixels shorter than the right handside standard monitor, and so effectively has a section missing off the top.

It's that missing section where just about all my new windows are appearing, and I'm having to Alt-grab them down to where I really want them. So what I'm looking for is a way of setting the genera "new window placement" policy to somewhere just lower than it normally is.

(I could configure the screens to align at the top and have the bottom portion missing instead, but that loses me access to the kicker, which is pretty important.)

Comment

Originally posted by marek_online

(I could configure the screens to align at the top and have the bottom portion missing instead, but that loses me access to the kicker, which is pretty important.)
        Or, you could move the kicker to the top (I think you can do that) , and then align the screens at the top. :P

Comment

Your welcome. You ca apply behaviour to windows or apps as you like. A variation would be to put a second panel (for example for your taskbar) at the top of your desktop and resize it to very small. This will force your windows to "behave" . I am sure someone knows a different approach.

I hope this helps you a bit.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for the pointers guys. For the minute, I've gone with configuring applications as I use them, and eventually they'll just about all do what I want them to. As is fairly typical, I only really use the same five or six on a day-to-day basis.

Moving the kicker to the top of the screen isn't an option, because I already have my kicker and panels pretty heavily customised: kicker on the bottom, external panel on the side of the screen with my only taskbar an external auto-resizing one at the top - all of them auto-hiding until my mouse goes looking for them. I barely use the K-menu at all. One of the reasons I like linux and KDE so much is just how much I've been able to make my desktop do exactly what I want it to.

Comment

System settings > Desktop > Behavior > Moving?
              For external use only.

Comment

Working...
              X