This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets Talk ABout KDE4...

Now i know everyones excited and stuff about KDE4 but honestly is it really going to be that good? The reason im saying this is because:

All ive seen so far is Plasma this and Dolphin that and no simple functionality. What i mean by functionality is making it easier to work and get things done. Dont get me wrong, i think what the developers are doing is amazing but whats the point if it turns out exactly like 3.5.8 except prettier( Not saying 3.5.8 is bad ). Then theres really been no point

I haven't seen a simple way of attracting newcomers to Kubuntu. The gnome guys have done a beautiful job with this and honestly and its more interactive with users( Sort of like Windows). Some examples are the automatic installation of codecs(well almost), Popups in the tray about this and that and the new font and text settings. They seem to improve on something in every release. Id love to say that for Kubuntu but that aint happening. There was no major difference between Gutsy and Feisty. Of course there must have been busy with KDE4 so they couldnt add anything new to Gutsy and thats perfectly fine as long as we see some good stuff in KDE4.

Dont get me wrong, I am not dissing anybody. Im just saying that MAYBE KDE4 has emphasized too deeply on the looks and hasnt woried much about ways to make it easier to get things done. This is just my opinion, if you feel that im full of s**t please post. I will hold no grudges. Also maybe ive missed out on some stuff and you would like to clarify it up, POST.
    Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--> # 15709

Re: Lets Talk ABout KDE4...

I haven't seen enough of KDE4 to have an opinion about it.
    There is 1 thing I don't understand and that's the focus on Dolphin. If I want filemanagement done well I use Krusader and Konqueror. So I guess there's another reason why Dolphin was implemented.... ?

Monk.

Comment

This sounds like baking the cake before the oven is warm.

But just for the hell of it, KDE4 is NOT merely eyecandy, I don't know if everything will be available from day one but here is a small list:

- improved performance and smaller memory footprint due to the use of QT4
      - A completely new backend for multimedia (Phonon)
      - A completely new backend for hardware handling (Solid)
      - A generic API for handling all kinds of messaging and contact protocols (Decibel)
      - and more

See wikipedia:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kde_4
      for a full overview.

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

[quote=Fintan ]
        - improved performance and smaller memory footprint due to the use of QT4
        - A completely new backend for multimedia (Phonon)
        - A completely new backend for hardware handling (Solid)
        - A generic API for handling all kinds of messaging and contact protocols (Decibel)
        - and more

Yes ive read some of these and they sound pretty good but how come we havent seen a single video or anything on them? I mean seriously, KDE4 is being released in not more than a month(right?) and still nothing on them. Dont forget just because it has these doesnt mean its going to be easy to configure and get stuff working. These gotta be presented properly too, you know what mean?

Comment

but how come we havent seen a single video or anything on them
          Maybe they are just heating up the oven??
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by b0uncyfr0
            Yes ive read some of these and they sound pretty good but how come we havent seen a single video or anything on them? I mean seriously, KDE4 is being released in not more than a month(right?) and still nothing on them. Dont forget just because it has these doesnt mean its going to be easy to configure and get stuff working. These gotta be presented properly too, you know what mean?
            Err...it's pretty hard to provide a video of backends or frameworks, as these aren't apparent on the desktop (and work behind the scenes).

Also, KDE 4.0 is just the initial release of KDE4, and as major changes go, they are never perfect from the start and there will probably be a lot of rough edges.

As it stands, I'm pretty sure KDE 4.0 isn't for everyone, best to wait for 4.1 or 4.2 in most cases.

Comment

If KDE4 were a commercial product, then I would agree 100% -- I doubt a commercial software business would get to this point in a major version upgrade without a serious marketing program. Perhaps it is this business model that is causing the "cognitive dissonance" here.

However, IMHO, *buntu is already suffering from falling short of expectations, for a lot of folks who hear about it and give it a try. I hear too many stories of disappointment -- I don't think we need to add another layer of inflated expectations for KDE4. Given that it is "free as in beer", so there's no ROI to worry about, I'd say a good approach is to roll it out and let its features and capabilities speak for themselves -- if it's really good, the word will get around.

Today's two cents' worth.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

If KDE4 were a commercial product, then I would agree 100% -- I doubt a commercial software business would get to this point in a major version upgrade without a serious marketing program. Perhaps it is this business model that is causing the "cognitive dissonance" here.

However, IMHO, *buntu is already suffering from falling short of expectations, for a lot of folks who hear about it and give it a try. I hear too many stories of disappointment -- I don't think we need to add another layer of inflated expectations for KDE4. Given that it is "free as in beer", so there's no ROI to worry about, I'd say a good approach is to roll it out and let its features and capabilities speak for themselves -- if it's really good, the word will get around.

Today's two cents' worth.
                I know what you mean, i guess we'll have to wait and see how much it delivers.

Comment

Working...
                X