This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Software

I have installed Kubuntu 7.10 and this is my first distro. I am restoring CPU's to give to underprivileged youth and wish to keep them legal. I am totally ignorant of Linux and in need of assistance. To begin I was asked if I wanted to install wine and I did so. Now I am able to neither install windows software nor software written for Linux. Please help.

Also, I did not have the floppy drive installed, am I going to have a problem installing it?

Re: Installing Software

i found this is some what usefull

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

and remember try to search out in google ur good friend and if u r succesfull come back here and post ur experience wid wine.

Comment

Originally posted by th1bill
      To begin I was asked if I wanted to install wine and I did so.
      What do you mean by 'was asked'? And how did you install it, via adept?

Comment

Originally posted by th1bill
        I have installed Kubuntu 7.10 and this is my first distro. I am restoring CPU's to give to underprivileged youth and wish to keep them legal. I am totally ignorant of Linux and in need of assistance. To begin I was asked if I wanted to install wine and I did so. Now I am able to neither install windows software nor software written for Linux. Please help.

Also, I did not have the floppy drive installed, am I going to have a problem installing it?
        To install software in Linux, the first thing to know is that there's a central source for the software you want to install. In most cases you shouldn't search the web for software installers like you do in Windows.

In Kubuntu, the installation system is available via the K Menu (Kubuntu Menu) as "Add/Remove Programs".

You'll need to type in your admin password to install software. After you add checkmarks to the software you want, click the "Apply Changes" button at bottom right. This will install the software and add it to your K Menu.

Wine is a hit-or-miss sort of thing, and you should check the WineHQ website first to see if the software you want to install has been tested and confirmed to work with Wine. If so, you'll want to add the Wine software repository to your software sources so you get the latest Wine updates. After you install Wine, you should be able to double-click EXE files and run them like normal (it will take longer than a normal Windows PC though).

You shouldn't need a floppy drive for anything.

Comment

wen i download some debian package and click on it it says wrong architecture why

Comment

Probably it is a 32-bit package and you are running a 64-bit OS.

Comment

mine is 32 bit OS ,

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Then perhaps it is the other way 'round -- could that be a 64-bit package?

Comment

Open a terminal and enter
                  Code:
                  uname -a
                  let us know what the output says.

Comment

the output is::::

srikar@srikar-desktop:~$ uname -a
                    Linux srikar-desktop 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 21:45:15 GMT 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

Originally posted by srikar

x86_64 GNU/Linux
                      And so, how are you finding the 64-bit OS, so far?

Comment

ohh thnx for the code.

Comment

That's why you got the "incompatible architecture" error -- your OS is 64-bit, and the .deb file was for 32-bit. You will have to be content with the packages in the repositories, unless you find .debs specifically packaged for 64-bit. For example, the free VMWare Player 2.0 has a version of the .deb for 64-bit.

Comment

ooh thanks u debl .. so r there enough .deb packages for 64 bit??

Comment

There are 22,853 in the repository -- is that enough?

Plus VMWare Player makes it 22,854.

EDIT: If you haven't enabled the Medibuntu repository, you should, IMHO:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Follow the instructions.

Comment

Working...
                              X