X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WINE

Hi Guys,
    I am new to Kubuntu 7.10 and have a dual boot with windows xp and kubuntu 7.10 and i have heard that i can run windows applications under WINE, can anyone please tell me how to install/get wine in a step by step way?

Re: WINE

Open Adept (Manager), search for Wine, select it for installation, and install it.
    For external use only.

Comment

do i need internet connection to do that?

Comment

Yes.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

what if it won't find my modem?
          !!!mmmmmh<br />loading a kernel. I think I found one?!<br />...xunil gnitoob<br />Ready!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            Yes.
            The problem is that i got wireless internet and whenever it connects to my wireless and gets to 57% the whole of kubuntu freezes this is also as soon as the writing changes to "activation stage: ip configaration started"
            any ideas on what i can do to get my internet working?

Comment

can we run all the windows application through wine, like the games , softwares installed in windows

Comment

you can run most MS applications in linux using wine, some i have found do not run as well, and some you have to look for dll's and some simply don't run

Comment

yes wine is good, i installed it and tried to run some programs installed in windows( i dual boot kub & xp) , many programs(that i installed in windows Ex : jet audio, firefox,) were accessable through wine but some could not(ex : yahoo messenger).

i think wine get upgraded time to time , so as to increase its reverse engineering capabilities.

Comment

Wine is not a panacea for running windows apps in linux. I have a few windows apps that run fine in wine.
                    However you will find that the process for getting some apps to run is extremely difficult and you will spend allot of time trying to get them to run at all.
                    I would check the wine apps database to see if the apps you want to run have had any success running in wine.

Your other alternative is to run your windows apps in an emulator, there is vmware server, virtual box (not sure it does wine yet and win4lin.
                    VMWare server is free and does a great job with windows and windows apps. WIn4lin is not free but it does a great job with windows apps. Has many capabilities that VMWare doesn't do, yet.

However since they are emulators some programs such as games most likely won't run. Check out the sites for wine apps database, vwmwaresrver, virtual box and win4lin and see which(s) will work for you.
                    I use wine and win4lin for the ones that won't run under wine.

Comment

Here is a new resource for help with WINE

http://www.wine-forum.org/index.php

Comment

Working...
                      X