This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading GIMP to 2.4

I wasn't sure if I should put this in the Newbie forum or here in Software Support, but I figured I'd start here. I'm not exactly new to Linux, but I am new to Kubuntu. I've done some searches here in the forums and the other Kubuntu online resources like the Wiki, but just haven't found anything at all on this topic.

Here's the deal... Kubuntu 7.10 has GIMP 2.4 RC 3 installed. Last week GIMP released version 2.4. When I run Adept and ask it to Fetch Updates it always tells me that there is no update available for GIMP.

Perhaps I'm not understanding how quickly I should see an update available and I'm just looking for it too soon, or perhaps I don't really understand how I should go about updating a software package when I know there is a new version out. I feel like I just don't have a sense of how this should work.

TIA for your help in getting a newbie going!

Ernie

Re: Upgrading GIMP to 2.4

Perhaps I'm not understanding how quickly I should see an update available and I'm just looking for it too soon
    My guess would be that the final release just isn't in the repos (software repositories) yet. As soon as it is your update notifier will tell you

It does take some time (not much) for the ubuntu people to go over a new release and make it available.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Re: Upgrading GIMP to 2.4

Here's the deal... Kubuntu 7.10 has GIMP 2.4 RC 3 installed. Last week GIMP released version 2.4. When I run Adept and ask it to Fetch Updates it always tells me that there is no update available for GIMP.
      Then there isn't Gimp 2.4 Final (in the X/K/Ubuntu repositories).

Perhaps I'm not understanding how quickly I should see an update available and I'm just looking for it too soon, or perhaps I don't really understand how I should go about updating a software package when I know there is a new version out. I feel like I just don't have a sense of how this should work.
      Gimp developers release source packages -> X/K/Ubuntu (/Debian) distribution maintainers compile and check all the dependencies -> If everything is looking good -> Gimp in the repositories.

Quess: Gimp 2.4 will/could be in the Hardy Heron (X/K/Ubuntu 8.04) -> It will/could be backported in the Gutsy.

Note
      repositories should be updated more often
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...0cc4c&t=587415
      The other reason, is that there are a limited number of people whipping up packages. So there might just not be someone on the job (although that wouldn't be the case with something like Firefox). And even when there is, the new package has to go through some red tape and pass the hurdles to be acceptable to put in the repository.

HardyReleaseSchedule
      https://wiki.kubuntu.org/HardyReleaseSchedule

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
      X