• Show
Clear All

Problems with compiz

Trying to get compiz working. I installed

compiz-kde
    compiz-fusion plugins
    settings manger
    emerald

I started it by just typing compiz into konsole. It is working to some extent as I get the window decorations and some minor effects and wobbly windows works. However, nothing happens if I press ctrl + delete. I I have ticked the 'enable cube' in the settings. I also have the problem that with tiled windows I don't seem able to bring a lower one to the top. If I click on a bottom window the focus goes to it and I can even type in it but the windows that are on top remain there. The only way I can get to a lower window is to minimise the ones on top.

My graphics card is an intel 945gm onboard which ran beryl ok. However, when I typed beryl into konsole I got these error messages, although it does work, at least partly.

Checking for Xgl: not present.
    Detected PCI ID for VGA: 00:02.0 0300: 8086:27a2 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
    Trying again with indirect rendering:
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
    Checking for non power of two support: present.
    Checking for Composite extension: present.
    Comparing resolution (1280x800) to maximum 3D texture size (2048): Passed.
    Checking for nVidia: not present.
    Checking for FBConfig: present.
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    Starting emerald
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide: freedesktop
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format

thanks

also, How can I turn off compiz and go back to kwin? I saw this on another thread but stupidly didn't note it.

Re: Problems with compiz

I suppose that you are doing all things with compiz in terminal window. So, after unsuccessful compiz start just type Ctrl+Z (background action), compiz action then goes to background, and type in terminal:

$ kwin --replace

Compiz must stop and kde then start using original kde desktop manager kwin.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
    X