X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random crashes and wierd gfx behaviour.

Hey Everyone,

I am having some issues with a new installation of Gusty the Kubuntu flavour. I am coming from Slackware and Kubuntu looks like a nice alternative from configuring everything by hand.

I am running an AMD64 bit cpu, 2 gig ram, ATI x800 radeon card on an ASUS A8V-E SE motherboard. I downloaded the 32bit version of Kubuntu and installed it fine.

My issues with Kubuntu are the following:

1) Installed firefox using the add/remove feature. Installed it fine. When it runs it crashes every 15 or 20 minutes. Just closes up without any error message. No KDE error or anything. Can't figure this one out, might try installing it manually if no one has any suggestions.

2) Konquerer likes to crash as well but it happens less then FireFox. A KDE error window pops up when this happens.

3) I installed the ATI gfx driver. I was warned this driver is not open and ubuntu doesn't have control over it. That's fine, I installed it without a problem. I upped my screen res beyond 1024 X768. I Didn't like it and turned it back down to 1024X768. It said it switched it back to 1024X768 but it didn't look any different. It told me to reboot so I did. Now it boots up and when it gets to the KDM screen. the monitor just goes black. Any ideas? I'll edit my xorg config file by hand if I have to but........well kubuntu should be able to do that itself I think.

I am hoping someone here has some good advice. I really want to like Kubuntu but so far it's not making that very easy for me to do.

Thanks,
    Nick

Re: Random crashes and wierd gfx behaviour.

Sounds like an xorg problem. Unfortunately I cannot help you much with that as I have no experience with your card. I am sure some on here can help on that part.

Doing a search (great function ) gives me this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...action=search2

and maybe this will help:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082808.0

For firefox issues I would try this little script here:
    http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge...._Shell_Scripts

Why not install the 64 bit system?

I hope this helps and welcome to the party
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks Fintan. I'll go over that xorg thread during my lunch break today.
      Fingers crossed it will solve my problem.

I opted for the 32 bit version instead of 64 because I tried Fiesty in the past. I downloaded the 64 bit version and it never worked properly. I didn't stick it out really to try and fix it.
      Are all the packages for ubuntu in 64 bit version as well? If so I will probably go downloaded it and give it a shot while I have my system in this state of change.

Nick

Comment

Are all the packages for ubuntu in 64 bit version as well?
        As I don't have a 64bit system I wouldn't know, but I would think so.

I do know that there were some issues with flash, etc (not a kubuntu issue) but they have been solved.

If you do a search for 64bit you will get a lot of different posts to have a look at.

From what I have heard / read the gutsy 64bit has made great advances compared to feisty and there are a few here who have made their experiences with 64bit.

Have fun
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
        X