X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde menu sorting

Hi,

Running gutsy 7.10 Kubuntu. So far everything works but did run across this oddity. In the kde menu, I found some duplicate entries between "settings" and "system". So I opened up the menu editor and removed the entries from where I didn't want them appearing. Sounds simple enough. Well now when I click on the menu on the desktop, none of the entries are sorted any longer and it seems that they are randomized.
    Has anyone come across a program that might sort them and keep them sorted? I asked this about a year ago and there was nothing out there. I don't find anything around now either to do this.

Re: kde menu sorting

Maybe this:

Tasty Menu
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=41866
    Description:
    Tasty Menu is a K-Menu replacement for KDE 3.x series aiming to provide the maximum usability and flexibility.
    It is applet (Add Applet to Panel). It doesn't automatically remove K-menu.

Gutsy packages:

[needs-packaging] TastyMenu, K-Menu replacement.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/115446
    Feisty i386 package: (but if you follow the link) Index of /files/linux/debs/kubuntu/gutsy -> tastymenu_1.0.1-1_i386.deb, 338 KB

Seems to work. It has in the settings: Sort Menus
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Hi,

Thanks but I downloaded it and installed it and nothing happens. The program is not running for some reason.
      It looks pretty nice but in reality all I would like to have is a script of some sort that sorts the menu items. Thats it. I have to break out some scripting books and take a stab at it......

Thanks again for the link.

Comment

The program is not running for some reason.
        You have to add it to the panel: right click panel->add applet->tasty menu. Try it out, you can set all sorts of configurations and you can always remove it. If you like it then you can remove the "K" kicker. You can always add it again with the add applet proceedure.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hi

Thanks but I find it has way more than I need/want. It is a nice program and does whats advertised but I am but a humble individual with very little needs. I usually turn off most of the function of the installed K menu. I will look to be able to just sort what I have.

Thanks

Comment

this seems like a really nice program. kbfx seemed a little to rough around the edges for me, at least configuration-wise.

what about this & kde4 having kickoff? what will happen with hardy?

UPDATE:
            i've installed 1.0.3 (the lastest version) and i love it! its great. there are only two things i wish i could do with it but can't: remove the left-most (first) pane and remove the text "Menu" from the button.
            <br />

Comment

Hi,

I agree. It would be nice to be able to get rid of the left most panel and the text. I probably would give it another shot if I could "change" things around.
              I did however come across this command which seems to work but only for alphabetizing the folder names and not the sub menu's (which is where the issue is).
              kbuildsycoca

Comment

Not particularly useful but if you right click on kmenu>menu editor, then you can manually reorder the entries.

Comment

Hi,

Yep been there...done that. Only trouble with that is the next time something gets added or I make an adjustment it just freaks out again. Just one of life's little quirks .............

Comment

about one of my "gripes" with the program...
                    i found that it is possible to disable the text next to the kmenu button. just select "None" on the button label option.
                    <br />

Comment

Working...
                    X