This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java probs . . .

I keep getting Java errors logged in my /home directory; I'm not sure what the deal is, Java seems to be working fine in Firefox, but NetBeans won't open. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling NetBeans, but to no avail (I'm currently installing Eclipse, and will post whether it works). These errors have been persistently appearing since I installed Gutsy, and I would appreciate it if anybody can help me with the diagnosis, or at least how to go about reporting the incidents. I've attached (1) of the logs (had to convert its format from .log to .txt), but there are many more; they all seem to be about the same error, and may only be an incompatibility issue between Sun Java and IcedTea Java, but it's beyond my knowledge at the moment.

Thanks for your help in advance,
    integr8e
    Attached Files
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Re: Java probs . . .

When you installed Java, did you ever get presented with Sun's EULA screen? This EULA has to be accepted for Java to actually be installed fully and correctly.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I accepted Sun's EULA; however, I have both Sun and IcedTea Java installed (Sun's JDK and IcedTea's Java Firefox plugin).

Edit: This is interesting, whenever I try to open Eclipse, I get the following error:

JVM terminated. Exit code=1
      /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/bin/java
      -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/jni
      -Dgnu.gcj.precompiled.db.path=/var/lib/gcj-4.2/classmap.db
      -Dgnu.gcj.runtime.VMClassLoader.library_control=nev er
      -Dosgi.locking=none
      -jar /usr/lib/eclipse/startup.jar
      -os linux
      -ws gtk
      -arch x86_64
      -launcher /usr/lib/eclipse/eclipse
      -name Eclipse
      -showsplash 600
      -exitdata d538004
      -install /usr/lib/eclipse
      -vm /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/bin/java
      -vmargs
      -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/jni
      -Dgnu.gcj.precompiled.db.path=/var/lib/gcj-4.2/classmap.db
      -Dgnu.gcj.runtime.VMClassLoader.library_control=nev er
      -Dosgi.locking=none
      -jar /usr/lib/eclipse/startup.jar
      I'll try uninstalling the sun-java-5 package and install the sun-java-6 version to see if that fixes the issue.

Edit: Well, uninstalling java-5 and installing java-6 fixed the problem for Eclipse, but Eclipse wouldn't let me compile anything, saying something to the effect of needing the org.eclipse.osgi plugin. I couldn't find it in Synaptic, so I searched through the plugins on Eclipse's web site, and could only find some information on it, not the plugin itself. So, I uninstalled Eclipse, and reinstalled NetBeans. running the command netbeans in Konsole gives me the error
      ~$ netbeans
      Cannot find java. Please use the --jdkhome switch.
      and when I run the command [i]netbeans --jdkhome, it gives me this error:
      ~$ netbeans --jdkhome
      shift: 114: can't shift that many
      I dunno, this is getting really aggravating though; I need an app that will allow me to compile and run Java code for my University, and will appreciate any help offered. It's too early to see if the installation of Java6 will eliminate the errors I've been receiving, so if anybody can help me with those, that too will be greatly appreciated.
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I got Eclipse working; after a lot of messing around, I uninstalled all versions of Sun's Java, leaving only IcedTea's Java, uninstalled Netbeans, reinstalled Eclipse, configured Eclipse to use IcedTea's Java, ran into some errors compiling from source, closed Eclipse, did all kinds of research, rebooted, found I couldn't open any GTK apps (including but not limited to Firefox, Synaptic, Eclipse, etc.), opened Konsole and ran the command firefox, got an error code, opened Konqueror and searched this forum for the error, found this thread, uninstalled the gtk-qt-engine, opened Firefox (now runs fine), filed a bug report, and now I seem to be good to go (although my GTK apps look like poo :P). Yep, that's about all I did
        Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
        X