Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The file or folder smb://user_name@XP-computer/share_name/f_name does not exist

Hi,

I'm trying to copy files from an XP share folder to the Kubuntu PC over a LAN using SAMBA but get the following:

"The file or folder smb://user_name@XP-computer/share_name/f_name does not exist."

Info:

1. This shared folder needs a username & password to be seen.
    Then the file names within the folder can be seen but not copied over the LAN or opened.
    2. Another XP PC can copy/open the files with no problem.
    3. The Kubuntu PC can copy/open files on another shared folder on the same 1st XP PC which does not need a username & password to be seen.
    4. I'm quite positive I COULD copy/open files at some point but then something has probably changed but I can't figure out what it could be.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Yair

Re: The file or folder smb://user_name@XP-computer/share_name/f_name does not ex

I experienced the same problems. I have a shared folder, after reinstall of gutsy (borked update), leaving my home partition intact, I re-shared the folder. Basic settings, public, not read-only, etc. And it gave me the same message.

Then I tried changing permissions (even to 777), owner, etc - nothing seemed to work. My windows friend (typical windows solution) told me to create a new folder, and share that. I did it - and it worked. Crazy.

Comment

Re: The file or folder smb://user_name@XP-computer/share_name/f_name does not ex

Originally posted by molnarcs
      ...My windows friend (typical windows solution) told me to create a new folder, and share that. I did it - and it worked. Crazy.
      That's execatly what I did and it worked too.
      Thank you anyway.

Comment

Big time revelation here. I am pretty sure the problem could be on the Windows end. I have been wrestling with this problem for the last three days, and followed up on an error message I saw briefly on the Windows XP machine. I changed the parameters as directed in the Microsoft knowledgebase and all was well.

Here is the link: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;177078

Thanks for everyone's help.

Duncan

Comment

Working...
        X