This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting superkaramba widgets to start at login

For some reason in Gutsy I cannot get superkaramba programs to start when I login. Superkaramba itself starts up in the system tray, but things like liquid weather don't get loaded. Is there some setting I missed somewhere?

Re: Getting superkaramba widgets to start at login

I don't think you missed anything -- I think there are bugs. Take a look at your running processes -- you may find it is running already. This problem existed in the Gutsy Beta release, and I wouldn't be surprised that it still does.

Comment

Hmmm... Superkaramba itself does load up fine at startup, but it doesn't load any of the desktop widget things. I just started up a karamba network monitor and no new processes where added to the process list. I am guessing they are just included in the superkaramba entry.

Comment

Yes, Superkaramba will run OK. Then you need to choose a "theme" to install, and install it to your desktop. What I found was, the theme would sporadically disappear (but the associated process would not). If I installed the theme again, another process would begin, with the first one still running. The first time I figured out what was going on, I had 3 superkaramba processes running. :P

Comment

Ugh, well that is annoying. I am now very used to having a bunch of superkaramba things running on my desktop. It looks very naked with out them.

I just don't want to have to start up the 5 or so themes/widgets every time I login... Boooo Gutsy...

Comment

Wellllllll.... is it Gutsy, or is it Superkaramba? :P

Comment

Dunno . Either way it makes me sad to see such an empty desktop. 8)

Comment

I have been running two S/K widgets for a long time. A system monitor (EdoSuse it is/was called) and liquid weather. The monitor still works nicely but have had to remove liquid weather because the little sod just won't play nicely with the other kids.

So, as dibl said, the problem is probably with individual Superkaramba widgets, and not with Gutsy (Yaaaaaaaaay).

My 2c.
                I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

I just logged out and back in with liquidweather three month calender and garfield running and they all popped up no problem. I'm running 7.10.
                  Thanks
                  Alvin ARS ka9qlq
                  Kubuntu 12.04 on a AMD X2 6000+ Asus M3A78-CM 4 GB RAM ATI Radeon 3100 256MB & 2 TB SATA HD
                  Just believing there IS a God won't get you to Heaven.
                  Accepting Jesus as your Lord and master is the only way!
                  http://www.4laws.com/laws/languages.html
                  http://www.godssimpleplan

Comment

Just updated to a later version of liquid weather. Will run it for a couple of days to see if it works ok. Will let you know
                    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Four days later, not a problem at all. Until I post this, I suppose.

Comment

For some reason in Gutsy I cannot get superkaramba programs to start when I login.
                        Well how about:
                        K -> System Settings -> Advanced - tab -> Session Manager you should see something like this:
                        Restore previous session
                        Will save all applications running on exit and restore them when they next start up.

Restore manually saved session
                        Allows the session to be saved at any time via "Save Session" in the K-Menu. This means the currently started application will reappear when they next start up.

Start with an empty session
                        Do not save anything. Will come up with an empty desktop on next start.
                        Make sure your "restore previous session" is checked.

Make sure your SK widgets are loaded and ALL other apps are closed. Relogin and your widgets should come right back up.

I hope that helps.
                        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

And if you don't wish to use sessions, you can load superkaramba (and chosen widgets) by creating a .desktop link to superkaramba to your ~/.kde/Autostart folder.

Just use 'superkaramba /path/to/your/themefile.theme' for the command to run in the .desktop file

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I have it straightened out now. Apparently the system monitor I was trying to use was messing everything up. Once I stopped trying to use that, everything went back to normal. I now have KDE-trash, Kclock, A-foto, and liquid weather all working nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                              And if you don't wish to use sessions, you can load superkaramba (and chosen widgets) by creating a .desktop link to superkaramba to your ~/.kde/Autostart folder.

Just use 'superkaramba /path/to/your/themefile.theme' for the command to run in the .desktop file
                              Yeah, this is how I thought to get superkaramba to run. I just made a bash script and threw it in autostart.

The only problem im having is that the liquid weather widget (the only one I use) opens to the middle of the screen everytime; i cant figure out how to make it stay in one place- there some kind of coordinates I can through in the bash script to get it in a predetermined place?

Comment

Working...
                              X