This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No gthumb since upgrade 7.04->7.10

When I start gthumb, it looks like it just starts to load and then freezes with no pictures loaded (just one horizontal white rectangle and one vertical white rectangle on a gray background). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck. Tried loading with directory as parameter, tried starting from command line, menu, Alt+F2 (run) always with the same result. Must click 'close' button multiple times and then 'terminate'. I use gthumb alot and would appreciate any help getting it working again.

Steve

Re: No gthumb since upgrade 7.04->7.10

I will reply to myself. First, I uninstalled and reinstalled, as I had mentioned. Then I uninstalled and tried to install from source. 'configure' revealed that 'gnome-doc-utils' was missing. I checked to see if 'gnome-desktop' was installed -- it was not. I'm installing it right now -- I saw the 'gnome-doc-utils' package name whiz by, so we'll see if this fixes the problem......

Looks like it's going to be complicated -- an error occurred during 'gnome-desktop' install. I'll try again.

Comment

I don't have gthumb installed -- I just opened Adept and was reading the description. It says "It's designed for GNOME 2 desktop environment and uses its platform.". Hmmmm, does that mean "won't work in KDE" ??

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply.

I've used gthumb in KDE for years, first in Fedora now in Kubuntu. It should work with gnome installed on the machine. I installed ubuntu-desktop and that also doesn't work -- I just get a black screen and two white bars where the menus should be. I'm pretty sure I had it installed before I upgraded kubuntu from 7.04 to 7.10. gthumb was working before the upgrade. I've uninstalled and resinstalled ubuntu-desktop and gthumb numerous times with no luck. Something is missing, but I don't know what. Installing gthumb from source revealed many things missing including 'gtk+-2.0' -- I could find no such package. The uninstall/reinstall of ubuntu-desktop top seems to run too fast, as though it is not doing everything it should. I tried 'remove', 'autoremove' and 'purge'. I've also tried numerous package managers. I have not been able to figure out how to rebuild the package database (as is possible with RPM).

Comment

What are the error messages if you try to run gthumb from the command line?

Comment

Same thing I get from other applications launched from the command line, except the other ones work:

X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 171
            Major opcode: 149
            Minor opcode: 3
            Resource id: 0x0
            Failed to open device
            X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 171
            Major opcode: 149
            Minor opcode: 3
            Resource id: 0x0
            Failed to open device

For example, I get identical messages when I run 'kate'.

Comment

Yeah, that's this... Not related to the gthumb probelms.
              For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by sbrown1038
                Same thing I get from other applications launched from the command line, except the other ones work:
                When you launch applications from the command line, you have to remember this: If the application is a GUI (Kate, Konqueror, etc.) you have to launch it with kdesu program. Example:
                Code:
                kdesu kate
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, but we've gone off track here. My real problem is with gthumb. I upgraded 2 PCs from 7.04 to 7.10. On one, the notebook I use for work, it works fine. On my home PC, gthumb doesn't work. It seems to start, but all I get is a blank window. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and this did not help. Something seems to be missing but I can't figure out what it is. I haven't found another photo editing tool that's as good.

Comment

Tried starting it from a terminal?
                    How about reinstalling? Purging?
                    For external use only.

Comment

Thanks, but I been there and done that. I did the purge again, just to make sure.

Comment

In reply #8 you say you upgraded two PC to 7.10 - your laptop for work and another PC for home. The laptop works with gthumb and the home PC does not. Are you running Gnome (as apposed to KDE) as your desktop manager on the laptop, and KDE on the home PC?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog

When you launch applications from the command line, you have to remember this: If the application is a GUI (Kate, Konqueror, etc.) you have to launch it with kdesu program. Example:
                          Code:
                          kdesu kate
                          NO NO NO!
                          This will launch the program as root, which is dangerous! Never runs a program as root, as a rule!
                          Starting the program from the command line will be just fine:
                          Code:
                          kate
                          What does gthumb do? Isn't there something more KDE that can replace it...(I LOVE digiKam, if that will get you on your track).'

(EDITED: removed quite obvious megatypo)

Comment

Uh... people are confusing other people, so I think I'll just clear it up:
                            "kdesu" grants root permissions to an application, and should be used sparingly. Only in cases where you need it (e.g. to edit a file to which you do not have write permission) should you use it.

Like heinkel_111 said, starting it from the command line should be just fine, but do it like this:
                            Code:
                            kate
                            For external use only.

Comment

Admonishment accepted. :P I'm wracking my brain, trying to remember where/when I picked up on using kdesu program from the CLI. I know it had something to do with errors being reported when using sudo program and the program was a GUI. No matter, I tried running kate from the CLI just by itself, and it opened just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X