X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux shutting down

Dear all

I'm experiencing problems with linux when I'm using my laptop to the maximum for example by using matlab. 3 times linux has shut down like this over the last week or so. It seems like it is got something to do with linux. It shuts down nice and decent, not suddenly or anything. Just like a regular halt.

Can I read in any logs what is going on, and why Linux is shutting down?

With regards
    Kristian

Re: Linux shutting down

If you were pushing the CPU with matlab, it might have been a thermal shutdown.

Comment

I thought so. Can I check in a log if this is the case?

Comment

Can it still be a heating issue when the linux shuts down nice and decent and not abruptly?

Comment

You have a laptop. You didn't say if you had 'stepped away for a time' while Linux was up and running. You said it "shuts down nice and decent, ..." so I'm thinking power management (hibernate, et al). That would be the first thing I'd be betting on.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes it is a laptop. A brand new one in fact. Samsung x22 with 2gb ram.

The computer is not hibernating. I'm working with the computer when it happens.

Comment

I tried running the same program in Bill Gates and the program shut down with the error: out of memory.

Comment

Working...
              X