X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Compiz Fusion questions

Hello all,

I got Compiz Fusion installed on Gutsy, and I've been playing around with the options. After clicking and playing and rotating cubes, I must say I'm really impressed! I've got two questions that I can't seem to find answers to.

1) In KDE (pre-Compiz), I can move a window by holding Alt + Button1, and I can resize a window by holding Alt + Button2. I really, really like this feature, and though the moving of windows with the Alt key works in Compiz, it seems that resizing doesn't. I've found the config section for resizing windows, but setting the Button to <Alt>Button2 for any of the "Initiate" actions doesn't have any effect. I've copied the exact config as shown with moving, but nothing works. Am I missing something?

2) Another thing I liked in pre Compize KDE was the Taskbar/Desktop integration. If I had four desktops, and I switched between them, only the tasks for those windows that are shown in the desktop are also shown in the taskbar. This doesn't work in Compiz, and there doesn't seem to be any way to make it do it.

I realize these are just minor complaints compared to all the wonderful things Compiz does, but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Re: Two Compiz Fusion questions

I'm not positive about the first question, but the second has been popping up for a while now on various forums; since Compiz-fusion is still in its development stage, there are several features that have not been fully integrated yet. Your second question is definitely one of those, and the first probably is too; if you'll notice, the "kill window" command (Ctrl+Alt+Esc) doesn't work either :P

About the only thing we can do for now is be patient and wait for them to correct those issues; they should be fixed soon
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I seem to have a problem were I can only have 2 desktops but my panel applet shows 4. Then when I tried to setup 4 workspaces in kcontrol now I see 8 in my panel applet, but when I try to switch I still just have the 2 desktops. (Using viewport switcher and expo)

Comment

Set the number of desktops to (1) and open "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings"; set the "Horizontal Virtual Size" to at least (4) [Advanced Desktop Effects Settings -> General Options -> Desktop Size -> Horizontal Virtual Size]. Keep "Vertical Virtual Size" and "Number of Desktops" set to (1). That should fix the problem; just reload Kicker (the taskbar) if they don't display properly.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Thanks integr8e,
          I set my desktops to 1 in the KDE Settings Manager,
          and then changed it in the Advanced Desktop Effects Settings to have a row of 2x2. Nothing happened until I set the desktops from 1 to 4, then I had a huge row of desktops in my pager applet. I slid it back to 1 and now 4 desktops appear on my pager, and I can switch between the 4 in the viewport switcher and expo. I didn't need to restart kicker. A very buggy solution. Oh well, solved! (for me)

Comment

Hello, klausdiemaus

This is what I have in Kmenu->Settings->Advanced Desktop Effects Settings->
            General Options->Desktop Size

Horizontal Virtual Size - 4
            Vertical Virtual Size - 1
            Number of Desktops - 1

This works nicely on my system. Perhaps it would work on yours?
            I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
              I'm not positive about the first question, but the second has been popping up for a while now on various forums; since Compiz-fusion is still in its development stage, there are several features that have not been fully integrated yet. Your second question is definitely one of those, and the first probably is too; if you'll notice, the "kill window" command (Ctrl+Alt+Esc) doesn't work either :P

About the only thing we can do for now is be patient and wait for them to correct those issues; they should be fixed soon
              Fair enough. Considering how advanced these effects are, it's a pleasant surprise to see how well it works with KDE as it is, they've made a lot of progress. I can wait for the last 2%

P.S. Didn't even know about the Ctrl-Alt-Esc thing.... Trying it now, and it hurts my hand trying to push all the keys at once... Reminds me of my EMACS days...

Comment

Originally posted by Lowey
                Hello, klausdiemaus

This is what I have in Kmenu->Settings->Advanced Desktop Effects Settings->
                General Options->Desktop Size

Horizontal Virtual Size - 4
                Vertical Virtual Size - 1
                Number of Desktops - 1

This works nicely on my system. Perhaps it would work on yours?
                Thanks! I've been looking for the answer to this all day. I didn't have this issue in Feisty, but I still had some Beryl stuff installed there. This worked like a charm, though. Strange workaround, but can't argue with success. Hope the compiz-fusion folks fix this. I saw that 0.6.2 is out, but the gutsy repository only had 0.5.2 as best I can make out there numbering scheme.
                ROG STRIX Z370-E Motherboard, Intel i7 8700K (6 core/12 threads) 3.7 GHz overclocked to 5 GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3 GHz, Intel 2 TB SSD, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

After several restarts while I play with settings, I've noticed that I have to go through the sequence of starting compiz, opening compiz settings, changing the # desktops to something other than 1, then back to 1. After that, all works well. This won't matter so much after I finish everything, but at the moment it is a bit annoying. Still better than only 2 desktops and no cube, though.

When I went back to my feisty setup on another drive, I saw that it was set exactly as suggested above. I must have forgotten that little detail.
                  ROG STRIX Z370-E Motherboard, Intel i7 8700K (6 core/12 threads) 3.7 GHz overclocked to 5 GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3 GHz, Intel 2 TB SSD, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

When you restart, run the command:
                    Code:
                    dcop kicker default restart
                    This will restart the Kicker (taskbar) and should show all 4 virtual desktops
                    Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
                      When you restart, run the command:
                      Code:
                      dcop kicker default restart
                      This will restart the Kicker (taskbar) and should show all 4 virtual desktops
                      Hey that works! Thanks Integr8e!

Comment

No problem
                        Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
                        X