X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slickrun for Linux

Hi,

In Windows I use to use a very useful util called slickrun, it enabled me to run apps very easy for instance if I pressed Win + q and typed in the pop window "mail" it would run my email client, but you could also configure to do advanced searchs for example I could type "books favouritebook" and it would open amazon and do a search for the book you entered.

Does anyone know of anything which can do anything like this for Linux.

Thanks,

Gavin,
    Primary OS: Kubuntu Feisty Fawn, Secondary: WinXP Pro (Games Only)<br />Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz, 2GB RAM<br />ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256MB<br />15&quot; Widescreen Display (1280x800)<br />Pro/Wireless Network Card connecting to US Robotics 1908A Router<br />

Re: Slickrun for Linux

it enabled me to run apps very easy for instance if I pressed Win + q and typed in the pop window "mail" it would run my email client,
    You could use K > System Settings > Accessibility --> Input Actions

There you could add keyboard shortcuts or mouse gestures:

HOWTO : KDE Mouse Gestures
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086781.0

but you could also configure to do advanced searchs for example I could type "books favouritebook" and it would open amazon and do a search for the book you entered.
    You could start Firefox/Konqueror from commandline/konsole to the www.amazon.com
    Code:
    :~$ firefox [url]www.amazon.com[/url]
    :~$ konqueror [url]www.amazon.com[/url]

When you combine these, you get something like slickrun =>

Modifying "Exaple #1 Start programs with mouse gestures"
    Instead of
    Code:
    kfmclient openProfile filemanagement
    use
    Code:
    konqueror [url]www.amazon.com[/url]
    => You can open amazon and do a search for the book with a mouse gesture (or keyboard shortcut)
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Katapult is similar. It's installed by default in Kubuntu (at least I had it). Just run it from the menu and when you hit ALT+Space it will pop-up.

It's somewhat similar to what you describe, but it doesn't search AFAIK.

Javier.

Comment

Katapult doesn't search on amazon, but it does search through installed programs, your firefox bookmarks (probably Konqueror too, I don't have any), files and folders in your home directory, even Amarok's songs and it does some basic calculations. I'm sure there are other things I haven't found yet.

So you can bookmark amazon.com, and then press Alt+Space, type Amaz (probably Ama will give Amarok), press Enter, and there you go.
        The Nomad&#39;s Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

Working...
        X