This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kernel

You know, I was thinking about the Linux Kernel. I was wondering if I should download the latest stable version of the Linux kernel and compile it. I was also wondering why I should do that. Is there an advantage of doing that? If there is an advantage, what are they. Do we have a website for Linux compilation in Kubuntu Linux? Any help to answer this is greatly appreciated.

Pookito
    You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
    Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
    Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Re: Kernel

Originally posted by pookito
    I was also wondering why I should do that. Is there an advantage of doing that? If there is an advantage, what are they.
    The easy answer is that if you don't know the advantages, don't compile it. There is usually no advantages for normal users.

Unless you need to do it for some reason don't bother with it.

Javier.

Comment

As he said above, there is no reason for you to compile unless you need or want something that you know is in the newer version. I don't know if you've ever heard the expression "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but it really applies perfectly in this case.
      Most likely (I don't know your level of expertise) you'll end up breaking something in the process.
      Hope you find this helpful

Javier (the 2nd evidently)

Comment

Thanks, base on what you said, I guess I won't touch it. I just wanted to learn.

pookito

Comment

I just wanted to learn.
          pookito
          Well this is quite a good reason to me. But don't do it on your main machine, use a virtual machine (like VirtualBox or VmWare) or a spare computer. You are probably going to broke it the first time (I did) .

Also a distro more oriented to compile things, like Gentoo, could help.

Javier (the first).

Comment

Yeah, I'd recommend VirtualBox as it's got a more user-friendly UI for setting up the virtual machine. Specially if you've never created one before.

Javier (El segundo)

Comment

Thanks Javier I am going to make a Google search on virtual box, right now.

Pookito.

Comment

Originally posted by ZombieBear
                Yeah, I'd recommend VirtualBox as it's got a more user-friendly UI for setting up the virtual machine. Specially if you've never created one before. Javier (El segundo)
                Originally posted by javierrivera
                I just wanted to learn.
                pookito
                Well this is quite a good reason to me. But don't do it on your main machine, use a virtual machine (like VirtualBox or VmWare) or a spare computer. You are probably going to broke it the first time (I did) . Also a distro more oriented to compile things, like Gentoo, could help. Javier (the first).
                Javier and Javier2. I have been playing with the virtual box lately, and I need to tell you, Thanks a lot for the advice. I just have a quick question. If I have any questions about virtual box, Is there a forum for it? And if there is, where should I go for help? The truth is that now that I am playing with it I notice that the virtual box is kind of small for my screen and I wish to make it bigger. Just to cover the whole screen. If you do not have the answer, can you direct me to someone who has it? Please.

Pookito

Comment

VirtualBox
                  As you already have it installed, go to the Using Virtual Box section of the guide. I'm believing you will find useful information here.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

And VirtualBox HOWTOs and tutorials
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

And the forums http://forums.virtualbox.org/.

Javier.

Comment

Working...
                      X