This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Envy

I was going to try to use Envy to optimize my video drivers configuration. However, when I tried using the instructions on the Envy page (I used the command line - mistake?), I got a long message of several packages that were not installed (missing?) and so nothing worked. I also got a broken package when I checked synaptic.

Now what do I do? How do I find out what is broken? How come no one is mentioning all the required packages for Envy? Did I do something wrong? Were these packages supposed to be pre-installed already and how does one know this?

I have no idea what step to take from here.

The main reason to try this is that I am not sure if my drivers are of the best/latest version. When I watch a video in any video player, the picture quality is not as good as watching the same video in Windows. I thought it is probably my video card and the drivers that are installed. I'm not sure how to check the current status/current drivers configuration.

When I go to system settings, it is listed as:
    Graphics card - vesa - driver: vesa
    Graphics card - ATI Radeon (fglrx) - driver: ati

The current video card is an ATI Sapphire X300SE.

Re: Envy

How did you install Envy? I'm guessing you installed the .deb package. Whenever I install Envy, I use Konsole, and not GDebi; after the initial "sudo dpkg -i ...", if it is the first time I've installed Envy on a system, it will not fully install due to missing dependencies. All I have to do then is run the command "sudo apt-get install -f" and apt installs both Envy's dependencies and Envy itself.

How did you install it?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by kbunt
      ... I also got a broken package when I checked synaptic. ... Now what do I do? ... How do I find out what is broken? ...I have no idea what step to take from here.
      When I go to system settings, it is listed as:
      Graphics card - vesa - driver: vesa
      Graphics card - ATI Radeon (fglrx) - driver: ati
      The current video card is an ATI Sapphire X300SE.
      Usually, Envy works well for me. I do not know how you downloaded envy but there are 2 versions now. Envy new and I think the other one is call Envy legacy. You need to download envy new which is the one that works with Gutsy. Please do not forget to remove the old version before you install the new version of envy.

In regards to fixing broken packages is very simple, go and open synaptic and at the bottom left of your window, you are going to find a a few bottons. One of those button is going to say: "custom filters". click in it and an option is going to pup up above the upper left section that says broken. You should be able to see it. Just click in it and a list of all broken packages is going to show up. just choose to fix it. It should be simple. Try downloading the new envy software and install it, It should work. By the way, I think the new version of envy just came out a few days ago, not a lot of people knows.

Talk to you later.
      You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
      Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
      Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

'Best' and 'Latest' are not mutually exclusive.

Also, your video drivers wont effect the quality of the video. Try selecting a different output mode (X11, OpenGL, etc...)

It could also be that the Linux implementation of the codec isnt as good as the Windows implementation. I get this a lot with Microsofts format (wmv)

Can you be a bit more specific about what is happening in the videos in Linux?

Comment

However, when I tried using the instructions on the Envy page (I used the command line - mistake?), I got a long message of several packages that were not installed (missing?)
          That was a "feature" of the earlier versions of Envy -- like 6 months ago. You should be using this file:

"envy_0.9.8-0ubuntu8_all.deb"

which, in my experience, automatically goes out and fetches the supporting python packages that are needed.

As far as "how" -- I use the Gdebi installer now (in Gutsy), but integr8e's method should work equally well.

By the way, the first time I used Envy and got that error message about the missing packages, I took a pencil, made a list, opened Adept and installed them, and then installed Envy again and it worked perfectly. So, it pays to be persistent!

Comment

Originally posted by pookito
            Usually, Envy works well for me. I do not know how you downloaded envy but there are 2 versions now. Envy new and I think the other one is call Envy legacy. You need to download envy new which is the one that works with Gutsy. Please do not forget to remove the old version before you install the new version of envy.

In regards to fixing broken packages is very simple, go and open synaptic and at the bottom left of your window, you are going to find a a few bottons. One of those button is going to say: "custom filters". click in it and an option is going to pup up above the upper left section that says broken. You should be able to see it. Just click in it and a list of all broken packages is going to show up. just choose to fix it. It should be simple. Try downloading the new envy software and install it, It should work. By the way, I think the new version of envy just came out a few days ago, not a lot of people knows.

Talk to you later.
            I downloaded and tried to install the way integr8e guessed. That guess was correct. I thought I chose the most recent version. "envy_0.9.8-0ubuntu8_all.deb" didn't download what was required. Not for me, anyway.

Edit: Okay, the broken package is Envy itself. So, I should figure out how to install the dependencies (aka the required packages?)?

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm.

"Broken Packages" are one thing, and "Missing Packages" upon which Envy is dependent are a different thing. Earlier versions of Envy would report "missing packages" -- is that what you saw, when you attempted to install Envy? Can you make a list of what it said was missing? As I recall, it was "fakeroot" and a handful of python-related packages, all of which were in the standard repos.

If it is "broken packages", then that is an issue with your dpkg database and can be fixed, but it is not related (directly) to installing video drivers.

Comment

I'm confused on how to answer this question but I can confirm that the Broken Package in synaptic 'broken' filter was Envy.

I have further questions, though:
                1) If I started from scratch, what is the method to do this? In other words, you download the package and put it where? I'm confused because I'm used to the Windows way. Installing it in a data directory (I usually use a directory called 'downloads') and then install from there. But, in my Linux system, I am not used to the directory system. I ended up downloading and moving the file to my .tmp directory. I just didn't know where to put it and if I screwed up, I thought it would be easier. I guess I should do the same as Windows and cd a 'downloads' directory, right?
                2) I tried to use the command:
                sudo apt-get install -f
                E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
                E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

I have encountered this 'lock' problem before and ended up just deleting the file. Do I have to do this again? Why is this happening?

Sorry, I am not familiar with this and it's confusing. I would like to start over but hopefully, I can use the downloaded .deb package as it is there. Using the command, 'ls' shows: envy_0.9.8-0ubuntu8_all.deb

Could someone advise me of my next steps?

Comment

You should try fixing the Envy package ]in Synaptic, the way Pookito mentioned.

Originally posted by pookito

In regards to fixing broken packages is very simple, go and open synaptic and at the bottom left of your window, you are going to find a a few bottons. One of those button is going to say: "custom filters". click in it and an option is going to pup up above the upper left section that says broken. You should be able to see it. Just click in it and a list of all broken packages is going to show up. just choose to fix it. It should be simple.
                  I had the same problem when i first installed Envy, the missing dependencies and then it appeared as a broken package in Synaptic. Fixing it automatically took care of the missing stuff and also installed Envy .

Comment

OK, let's try some steps.

First, make sure Adept Manager is closed.

Now we're going to attempt to fix/unclog the "Debian pkg" database, aka "dpkg". Open the Konsole terminal window, and enter this series of commands one at a time:

Code:
                    sudo dpkg --configure -a
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get autoclean
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get autoremove
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get update

Hopefully you will observe some "action" happening after some of these -- just be patient and let them work.

Next, go to the Envy site here:

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Click the file that I named above, and "download to disk" or whatever your browser says to get it downloaded, and I personally just use the Desktop for such things.

When it is sitting there on your desktop, you can either use the Konsole and the "apt-get install Desktop/envy_0.9.8-0ubuntu8_all.deb" command, or you can right-click it like I do and "Open With" the Gdebi installer, and let it install. When I last did this, it took some time downloading the supporting packages that it needs, and then it installed itself and ultimately presented me with a text-mode menu of installation choices for my video card.

Try this and let us know how you fare.

Comment

Thanks!!!!

I ran your steps and I still wasn't able to continue but then I ran the following in the command line:
                      sudo apt-get install -f

This resolved the dependencies for Envy and then I continued your steps. I didn't have to download again as I guess it found the file. But, in the future, I will download stuff to the desktop. I used to do that in my previous Debian installation. :-)

Envy did a good job. It actually solved my problem with Kaffeine (with the green line) and the 'broken pixels' in KMPlayer (not sure how to describe it - it looked like alternating blacked out pixels and then normal video but was rectangular if you follow me) that was at the left margin or frame.

I have an ATI Catalyst program as well as the Envy GUI in the menu now.

In system settings, my monitor resolution is displayed as increased, too.

Comment

Envy did a good job.
                        Excellent -- just the words I was hoping to hear!

Comment

That's awesome!!! I'm glad you're up and running

Hey dibl,
                          Code:
                          apt-get install Desktop/envy_0.9.8-0ubuntu8_all.deb
                          That's a good one, the only command I knew of that would install .deb packages was
                          Code:
                          dpkg -i envy_0.9.8-0ubuntu8_all.deb
                          Thanks
                          Asus G1S-X3:
                          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Mah -- I like your version better!

Comment

Working...
                            X